Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unloading Versamax?

jrbet83

If i'm looking at the design of the Versamax correctly, the only way to clear the tube of a Versamax is by cycling ever shell out. The reason I say this, is with the carrier down, the shell catch can't move over enough to let a shell pass it. So you can't just push the shell catch with your finger. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing something. My Versamax can be unloaded easily by turning the gun upside down and pushing hard on the shell catch (from inside the loading port) while relieving the pressure on the catch by pushing in slightly on the shells in the tube.

My Versa Max unloads easily by pushing the shell catch in the loading port, little push, out pops a shell ( while holding the lifter up of course). I can unload 10 rounds very quickly this way, can only do 1 at a time as you have to move your finger to let the shell out but after many times loading and unloading I do 10 pretty fast -

My Versa Max unloads easily by pushing the shell catch in the loading port, little push, out pops a shell ( while holding the lifter up of course). I can unload 10 rounds very quickly this way, can only do 1 at a time as you have to move your finger to let the shell out but after many times loading and unloading I do 10 pretty fast -

See on mine, you can't push the shell catch over enough, because the back pivots into the carrier and won't let the shell catch to be depressed enough, to let the shell slide past

With a factory shell latch its hard. Once its tuned for easier loading it also becomes a lot easier to unload.

I press the latch and the shell head pops out and hits my index finger. Then I flick the shell out onto the floor/table/ect

I'll have to this tomorrow.

My shell catch has been trimmed a bit and polished. It has not had the U-notch in the bolt release/shell cathc bar filed down yet.

I may do that to make loading a bit easier but I've been hesitant since I don't want to weaken it and cause it to fail.

Not that I've heard of any failing after that mod.

With a factory shell latch its hard. Once its tuned for easier loading it also becomes a lot easier to unload.

I press the latch and the shell head pops out and hits my index finger. Then I flick the shell out onto the floor/table/ect

Tuned?

Someone showed me how to do it when I had a bone stock tactical and it worked fine so it can't be anything Triangle did to it because I unloaded it this way before they worked on it. Mine has plenty of flex in the shell catch to push it out of the way, only have to move it a little to release a shell. I just looked at mine and the shell catch runs way back into the trigger area so there is no pivoting, if you push out way up by the mag tube ( basically you are pushing out on the bolt release button from the inside, you can see the round bolt release push out when you do it ) you only have to move it 1-2 mm and it releases a shell.

What versa max do you have?

Someone showed me how to do it when I had a bone stock tactical and it worked fine so it can't be anything Triangle did to it because I unloaded it this way before they worked on it. Mine has plenty of flex in the shell catch to push it out of the way, only have to move it a little to release a shell. I just looked at mine and the shell catch runs way back into the trigger area so there is no pivoting, if you push out way up by the mag tube ( basically you are pushing out on the bolt release button from the inside, you can see the round bolt release push out when you do it ) you only have to move it 1-2 mm and it releases a shell.

Pivoting is how the whole systems works

look at the loading port. That little roll pin on the right side of the loading port in the receiver is the pivot point.

That bar functions as a shell catch on the front enf and holds open the bolt on the back.

Edited by Willz

I mean it does not pivot into the lifter , sorry for trying to help, just unload the thing by racking every round out the chamber as this is obviously the only way -

Giving inaccurate information isnt actually helping, but thanks for the attempt.

Sounds like its just a flex issue, being that these are massed producted stamped parts, some shell catches must have less flex then others. Ill just have to either mod mine by giving it less engagement on the shells or by opening up the u notch to allow for more flex. Both are common mods, but usually done to make it easier to get a shell going in, not coming out

I wish I could describe how to push on the shell catch more accurately, but it sounds like you have it figured out so good luck with that-

I understand what you're talking about.. Yes the shell catch is obviously meant to flex.

The little saw toothed tab that lives above the trigger when depressed upward pivots the shell catch back and allows a shell to pop out onto the lifter.

If you could figure out how to make that work without the lifter being down you could dump the entire tube.

That would be nice.

Edited by Willz

No, it will not pivot any further than your picture illustrates due to the position of the lifter - but the area of the shell latch in front of the pivot pin at the U shaped notches will bend and flex allowing shells to come out of the tube for unloading. The modifications made (and referenced above) to allow easier loading also make the latch easier to bend for unloading, however the modifications are not required for either, they just make it a bit easier to do both.

The Military manual for the Benelli M4 describes this unloading method (and the Versa Max is obviously designed much like the M4) See page 26

jrbet83,

if you spent HALF of the time you have into proving me wrong pushing on the shell catch you probably would have figured it out by now. Just like Gun cat said, it does not have to be modified to unload this way! try pushing harder, or just do another post showing how inaccurate I am, I'll just go back to unloading mine like I have for the past 2 years but what do I know?

The new lifter they use on the Versamax tactical competition model actually doesn't allow unloading this way. Sure you can depress the shell catch and the shell backs out but then it hits the front of the lifter. The design of the new extended lifter won't let the shell go past. The only way I have been able to unload in this method, without cycling the shells through the chamber, is to hold the bolt to the rear with one hand while releasing the shells with the other. Kinda awkward.

Edited by gdcguns

The lifter on the competition model hasnt been extended. It just has the fork filled in and a small indention to help guide shell to chamber. It causes shells to bind up when loading and it still pinches the hell out of your thumb. Simple fix. Replace with an actual extended lifter.

Do you guys stock the extended lifters or do you use the competition model and add to it

The lifter on the competition model hasnt been extended. It just has the fork filled in and a small indention to help guide shell to chamber. It causes shells to bind up when loading and it still pinches the hell out of your thumb. Simple fix. Replace with an actual extended lifter.