Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

extended magazine release, mag well, sights

bigarm

My wife has decided she really likes my Les Baer UTC and wants to use it for USPSA. I will be using my mew (to me)Brazos STI Edge hopefully. She would really like an extended mag release as her fingers are a little short to reach easily. What mag releases do you suggest? Also she could use a mag well. What are your suggestions for those? I think that adjustable sights and a fiber optic front sight would be good also. It would be nice if the rear sight would fit the existing place. Any suggestions?

As far as mag releases go, the STI extended mag button and drilled and tapped mag catch may work well for her. My hands were too big for the one I got so I had to remove it, but it may work well for a lady's hand.

IMO the best SSTK magwell is the techwell TGO with Techwell Alumagrips. If you like your grips you can mod them to fit or use a Dawson ICE which are also popular.

Dawson FO front sights rule the game and we need to know what kind of rear sight cut your slide has. If it's a bomar style cut then you can't beat the kensight :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the Dawson posi-lock extended mag catch. I got one that was drilled and tapped so I can add a button but the extended length is working just fine.

I'm running the Techwell SP magwell and cut the locking grooves myself into the grips I already had, but the grips that Techwear sells for the Techwell are pretty good.

Ditto on DP fiber optic front sights. I have them on all my guns.

I'm a Dawson fan as well. They just sent me a new mag button for free because my old one kept coming loose. All of my guns have Dawson front sights along with a plain rear that gives me sufficient light space on either side.

I just ordered the extended mag release and button, plus a Dawson magwell for IPSC Classic Division 010~048. The magwell is out of stock, so I don't know how soon it will come in stock. I checked out you tube videos and it looks like an idiot like me should be able to install these things. After I get these installed, then I can order the sights. She really wanted the mag release and button first, since it is difficult for her to reach the standard one. After the sights, she should be ready to go as the trigger is quite nice already. Thanks for the help.

You may want to look at several rear sight to check to see if there will be a problem with the Baer fitting into the USPSA box. I have a TRS with a Dawson ICE magwell and Kensight DAS rear sight and it barely fit in the box at the WSSSC match. The Dawson IPSC magwell is shorter so you may not have a problem.

Mike

You may want to look at several rear sight to check to see if there will be a problem with the Baer fitting into the USPSA box. I have a TRS with a Dawson ICE magwell and Kensight DAS rear sight and it barely fit in the box at the WSSSC match. The Dawson IPSC magwell is shorter so you may not have a problem.

Mike

Thanks I will have to check that. I did order the shorter magwell. The sights will have to wait until next payday. The Dawson adjustable sight looks pretty low. I will probably call and talk to Dawson before ordering. I know that I am really liking the fiber optic front sights on my STI Edge. They are much easier for me to see and pick up than the tritium sights on the Baer.

I have small hands and what I did was the Dawson Posi-Lock regular length with an STI oversized button and it works great for me. Warning I used a light spring and was having unexpected mag drops use the normal Wolfe spring and she will be good to go.

The parts arrived on Saturday. I had time to install the mag release and button. She tried it at a match today and liked it, but said that the mags did not drop freely 3 or 4 times during the match. I did notice that the mag release did not push all the way in like my STI does. Don't think I did anything wrong, but who knows. I did use blue loc tite on the button as it screws in. We are going to clean the guns and mags this week and will see what happens. I plan in trying to install the mainspring housing and magwell tomorrow. Have watched a you tube video. It seems straight forward enough.

I installed the new mainspring housing and magwell this afternoon. While doing so I cleaned the magazine well and (at least the one I tried) the mag seemed to drop freely and it was empty. I guess I should have tried more than one mag but didn't think of that until now. Anyway, she now has a bigger mag release and a magwell. She likes the changes.

Make sure all the mags drop freely. A friend bought seven Dawson's, and one was out of spec and would not drop. The other six were perfect.

Will do. My wife cleaned all her mags yesterday, but we forgot to check them. We have a match, actually 2 matches tomorrow in Spokane. A USPSA in the morning and a 3 gun in the afternoon.