Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"0", 10, or 20moa scope mount for 3-gun

Fursniper

Switching from an eotech with magnifier to a 1-6x scope for 3-gun. I like the idea of some moa built into the scope mount but have heard that this may cause some target orientation problems at 1x power on close range. Sure would appreciate some input from fellow 3-gunners with knowledge/experience with this. Thanks!

Built in cant is nice for dialing out and getting the most use out of a scope in a precision shooting environment. I would think dialing out for targets in a 3 gun setting will just add on time. Thus you wouldn't get the full benefit of having built in cant. It would be faster to know your drop values and use holdovers.

Edited by NisilS14

0 should be fine for 3 gun since most targets are not past 400 yards. I have a 20 MOA mount on my long distance gun but not on my 3 gun mounts.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

A 20 MOA mount won't cause you any 'issues' at 1x as far as parallax or 'target orientation,' but as said before won't give you any benefit for 3 gun stuff. Usually use a +20 when you are trying to ensure you have enough 'up' to get out a long, long way.

I use a +20 on my F T/R rifles so that my cross hairs are closer to the middle of the adjustment range at 500 and I have plenty of up left over to get me out further as needed with the whole twisty clickie thing. Different game - different speeds - different needs.

A down side to a 20 moa cant mount is it puts the rear of the scope higher up and can affect your cheek weld depending on your stock set up. Something to consider. I only use these on my precision rifles.

Edited by Alaskapopo

Personally I'd get a 20. Like a lot of things I have, things get shuffled around. It may be for a 3 gun rifle right now, but in the future I could use the mount for a longer range rifle.

I would not buy the wrong mount for today's project in the hopes that it might be the right mount for tomorrows project.

Thanks again for all the input! After speaking with LaRue as well, going with a 0moa mount as the distances I will be shooting at the MG matches I attend won't be much over 400 yds. It looks as if the built in mos cant on scope mounts is more for longer applications. Bobro pretty much said the same thing. Appreciate all the input, it definitely was a big help.

I wouldn't call it a "wrong mount".

I would call a 20 MOA a more flexible mount. Depending on the scope you can use it for 3 gun as well as for long range precision applications.

The thing is in lower power scopes you have plenty of adjustment inside the scope itself. Its only when you start moving up in power that you run out of elevation. I doubt many people are going to be sharing one mount for multiple scopes. I can see having 1 scope mount combo shared but using a single mount and remounting and re-leveling a scope constantly is going to become a major pain. As I said before a 20 MOA mount is tall at the rear messing up your cheek weld unless you have an adjustable stock (like a PRS)

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Like the others said, not needed for a 3 gun setup.. but not a problem either, I run an AADmount 30mm with a 20 MOA cant and I can't tell any difference with the same scope on the same rifle in a 0 mount. I just like the mount..