Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting low right with handguns

mese341

okay I need some help because I shoot a lot of handguns and rifles but for some reason on every handgun I shoot low right except the 1911 or the 2011 setup I hit dead on i just don't get it. I am left handed

I wouldn't describe it as a flinch but it is an issue with your trigger control. For right handed shooters low left hits are most common.

As you are pressing the trigger it's a natural motion to dip your gun low and left as you pull your shot off.

It's hard to notice because it happens just before the gun goes off but it sure shows up on paper.

Try dry fire practicing against a blank wall. Watch for any disturbance in your sights during your trigger pull and practice slowly pulling the trigger and not disturbing the sights.

Best advice I heard when learning to shoot was to slowly increase the pressure on the trigger and let the gun go off, don't try to make it go off. If you are doing it right then it may surprise you a bit at first when the gun actually fires but you should find it closer to the Bullseye.

This is opposed to waiting until your sights are exactly prefect and the jerking the trigger which will usually pull your hits down at the last moment. Get a close sight picture and start a slow press letting the gun fire when it's ready.

With time you should learn how to pull the trigger faster while not disturbing the sites but that will come sometime after you figure this out.

P.S. I see this at the range all the time. I was there today and the guy next to me had a target full of low left hits. Shooters will even question their guns or sights because of the regularity of hitting low left. He let me shoot three shots with his gun which were all right on top of each other in the center. Sometimes it's just takes a but of perspective to help someone realize that it is them not the gun and they can start to correct the issues.

You can try the new Gen 4 Glocks or M&Ps that have interchangeable back straps. Maybe the smaller ones would work for you.

I should mention that you likely don't shoot low left with the 2011s because the trigger is better so you aren't pulling the gun down the same way you do with other guns.

Several shops to 2011 grip reductions that might suite you. The 2011 also has the advantage of being able to be fitted with a trigger that has a shorter reach.

okay perfect i have 3 m&p's and love them but i think it is the trigger because i shoot my 1911 a1 loaded dead center so i am going to save up for a sti edge or executive in 40 because the guys i shoot with said i should go to major limited and limited 10 instead of minor limited 10

The Apex trigger kits are great. I personally found the competition spring kit to be a bit too light for me. The transition from take up to where the trigger starts to "break" was such a big transition that I found myself "slapping" the trigger a lot. It just didn't feel smooth at all (some would argue no striker-fired guns are "smooth" to shoot but y'know).

What worked well for me was to use the factory striker spring, factory trigger spring, and the rest Apex. So Apex striker block and striker block spring, apex sear and sear spring. If your M&Ps will accept it, I believe the Apex RAM makes the trigger pull smoother too (and really improves the feeling of the reset). Unfortunately, my competition M&P is one of the newer ones that won't accept the RAM and and I miss it (I have it on my other M&Ps).

I highly recommend a lot of dryfire to get your trigger pull smooth. I try to dryfire at least 5 minutes everyday so I can get that trigger pull engrained. After awhile you'll be able to do it 2nd nature. You'll still have to concentrate for the long shots but the close stuff will be easy. :)

I found the fix to be finger placement. With the 1911/2011 trigger my trigger is all but on the pad center of my finger. With the m&p trigger (even with the duty/carry apex kit) I have to place my finger deeper into the trigger. It has worked for others as well on other polymer pistols.

Note. I give this advice specifically to those that notice the issue when switching between a 1911 and tactical tupperware. If you do not flinch with the one trigger it is unlikely you are with your Smith. It is likely a geometry issue.

It is difficult to go back and forth for me. It takes a stage or two to swap programs. :)

JC

The fastest way to prove to someone that they have a flinching problem is to load their mag and insert a couple of dummy rounds without them knowing. Then have them shoot a group with that mag. It works every time.

interesting comment about the finger placement on the M&P. I found myself doing that as well. Weak hand had the index finger high - on the trigger guard. Am changing to a lower weak hand index finger (under the guard) and that actually seems to shift my strong hand slightly so that the pad of the finger is on the trigger. Better control of recoil, better trigger control, less 'low left for a rightie' shots - what's not to like?

okay I need some help because I shoot a lot of handguns and rifles but for some reason on every handgun I shoot low right except the 1911 or the 2011 setup I hit dead on i just don't get it. I am left handed

Low left for a rightie or low right for a leftie is almost always from yanking the trigger.

I'm told that area of the pie chart will be renamed in my honor after my death.....

Here is the chart. The low left area (for right hand) is designated for jerking/slapping the trigger. I spent so much time there they used to charge me rent. For left hand shooter, reverse image along vertical center axis.

post-271-0-29471300-1400568673_thumb.jpg

Edited by bountyhunter

interesting comment about the finger placement on the M&P. I found myself doing that as well. Weak hand had the index finger high - on the trigger guard. Am changing to a lower weak hand index finger (under the guard) and that actually seems to shift my strong hand slightly so that the pad of the finger is on the trigger. Better control of recoil, better trigger control, less 'low left for a rightie' shots - what's not to like?

Try using more or less finger as well. i.e. Grabbing closer to the first knuckle

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...