Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are good, economical brands of 9mm and 45 ammo

rcmigpilot

I have a Dan Wesson PM-9 coming and will soon acquire either a Brown or Baer full size 1911 in .45, So its time to buy a few cases of range ammo and I need feed back. I'm travelling a lot for work for the better part of the year so hand loads are off the table, although I will save as much brass as possible to reload in the future, and I'd like to stay with brass cased rounds. The main rounds I'm looking at are Winchester white, Federal American Eagle, PMC, Blazer Brass then some of the remans like Freedom. What would you guys buy to feed these higher end 1911s?

I would buy factory reloads from Freedom Munitions. Between my son and I, we've shot thousands of these. 1 fail to fire. More accurate than the inexpensive new rounds I've bought.

Edited by Smitty79

I have good luck with both Federal and Blazer in both my Sti's. Maybe you should look into Atlanta Arms and Ammo, I believe they are taking new customer's now. Think there is a limit of 1000 rounds monthly but it's top quality stuff. Good luck with your new purchase.

If you are anywhere near a Cabelas, I've found their Herters brand to be very clean ammo. Its usually priced at the lower end for its caliber and the 9mm variant leaves the cases so clean they look like they've been tumbled. I've reloaded the brass with no issues. I believe the .45 is large primer pocket also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Not to be a smartass but i'd suggest the best and most economical brand of .45 and 9mm is the one you load yourself using range pickup brass :cheers:

if you've already decided reloading isn't for you, then pls disregard but if you're shooting a few thousand rounds a year then a sqaure deal b or 550 press will pay for itself in no time at all. you won't actually save much money but you'll end up being able to shoot 3 times as much for the same cost :)

Not to be a smartass but i'd suggest the best and most economical brand of .45 and 9mm is the one you load yourself using range pickup brass :cheers:

if you've already decided reloading isn't for you, then pls disregard but if you're shooting a few thousand rounds a year then a sqaure deal b or 550 press will pay for itself in no time at all. you won't actually save much money but you'll end up being able to shoot 3 times as much for the same cost :)

Reloading is not off the table, far from it, there's a Dillon 650 in my future, but right now I'm living out of a travel trailer while traveling for work and there just simply isn't any place to put a press. In fact, that's one of the reasons I'm moving to 9 mm from 40 for my steel challenge gun, low power 40 loads can be a bit difficult to get and with out being able to load my own the next best thing for low recoil is 9 mm. I ordered 1,000 rounds each for 9 mm and 45 from Freedom, I've had pretty good luck with their 40 S&W rounds so I figured I'd give the other calibers a try.