Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Black

LouSig

I use Birchwood Casey Super Black (flat black type...they make a gloss too) on my sights. I use the stuff in the "Instant Touch-up Pen" dispenser. It takes a few minutes to dry but works well. It looks pretty thick going on but dries to a fairly thin coating in a few minutes.

Big trick with this stuff is that you have to have the surface you are painting absolutely grease-free. Gun Scrubber takes care of that easily. I also took a bronze brush to the sight blade and knocked off the crap and most of the rest of the old paint first.

Doesn't seem to be any more or less resistant to scratching/chipping than the stuff that the sight was originally coated with and, unlike the original coating, it is flat and not glossy.

Krylon makes an ultra-flat spray that I am tempted to try as well. Of course that would pretty much mean removing the sight blade as I don't find spraying to be that precision of an operation and masking is a pain in the posterior.

Since I am super cheap, I use the Sanford Markette 336 Plus permanent marker. All I want to do is knock the shine off the top of the front sight which this does without the buildup up of paint and it dries quickly. Since I use carburetor cleaner to clean the slide it also takes off the permanent marker but it didn't take off the Testors Acrylic. I used the Testors Florescent paint on the front sight to improve my concentration on the front sight but found out too much of my attention went to the sight that I lost track of the target. Now I use the paint on my magwell so I make sure I see the magwell on reloads.

• 3 months later...

Kinda drifting from what you want (cheap and weather proof) but I use a Super Smoker from Ray-vin.com. It's sort like a Miner's Lamp made out of delrin for smoking sights with calcium carbide. The black wears off easily, especially in wet weather, but nothing's blacker or flatter than this stuff. It's easy to touch up, though, just another twist of the water wheel on the bottom and smoke up before your stage. If you do it right you can even smoke your sights while the gun is still in your holster.

Kevin;

I bought mine from a local gun store in a big, 5 lb. style tin. It has the Gun House logo on it (the company from Natick, MA). You could try

www.ray-vin.com, it's the company I got my super smoker from. The super smoker is loads better than the Gun House aluminum jobbie. Instead of having to drop a rock in and try to jam the cap on before the acetylene gets out the super smoker has the rocks in a sealed container with a water chamber and a one-way valve screwed on to it. Give it a twist and it squirts water on the rocks, then hit the flint wheel for a nice, large flame. Need more flame/smoke? Just twist the wheel more. I'm a PPC shooter, where you want nice, black sights. If you know any try them, they might give you a local source.

Carbide is getting harder and harder to find now that it is on the Homeland Security list . Last I hurd you had to have a License to deal it. WHat???? you never made a acetylene exploding device ??????? :ph34r:

Cave crawlers are a good place to score carbide too..........