Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bi-focals or progressives lenses?

fxdc

Before admitting defeat to my age and vision and giving up on shooting with safety reading glasses.

Which would be better? I never used a progressive lens and not sure if its the best option.

Any help from the OLD GUYS RULE club???

Thanks

I just got progressive lenses and don't like them due to all of the head tilting and having to look thru the very bottom of the lense to see up close. I'm going to go back and get a dedicated pair for reading and another pair for distance.

I have progressive lens in my everyday glasses. I can not shoot with them at all

For shooting I use a set of glasses with no close up correction just my distance formula and then I stick a plastic stick-on lens in the center of the dominate eye lens allowing me to use the stick on without adjusting my head. So I have a close up in my dominate eye and my normal distance lens in the non-dominate eye. I do pretty well with this arrangement and I selected a stick-on that gives me sharp focus on the front sight. Others have tried this technique and could not adjust to differences between the eyes. I had no problem adjusting.

I'm 57 and have work progressives for several years. The single best thing I've done to help my shooting is to get a pair of glasses just for shooting - the left lens is single Rx for distance, the right lens is singe Rx for near (point of focus is where the front sight is). This takes a little getting used to, but it's the only way I've found to be able to get the front sight in focus.

As of late, I've found putting a strip of scotch tape over the left lens has helped my accuracy quite a bit. It makes focusing the right eye on the front sight much easier.

Of course, YMMV

Thanks Club members.. LOL

I have scripts for both bi and prog, just wait to hear ur views. I did forget to say I am far sighted cannt see frt site.

I did order HyDro tac stick on lenses, 1.75 and 2.0 wish I got a 1.5 also but want to see how thes work for me.

They also have safety glasses that have magnafiers top and bottom so after I ck out the stick ons I may order the safety glasses and ck them out also they are 18bks and shipping... I have use some in the past with the magnafier in the lower section didn't know they made them with the upper done also.

I use the "seperate glasses for shooting" approach. Right lens - dominant eye - with prescription so that the front sight is sharply in focus and the left eye 20/15 for distance. Single vision lenses. Normally I wear single vision lenses with prescription so vision at distance is 20/15. I'm normally very nearsighted so for small print, etc. I just take off glasses. Use computer with screen about 3.5/4 feet away wearing glasses.

I'm 57 and have work progressives for several years. The single best thing I've done to help my shooting is to get a pair of glasses just for shooting - the left lens is single Rx for distance, the right lens is singe Rx for near (point of focus is where the front sight is). This takes a little getting used to, but it's the only way I've found to be able to get the front sight in focus.

As of late, I've found putting a strip of scotch tape over the left lens has helped my accuracy quite a bit. It makes focusing the right eye on the front sight much easier.

Of course, YMMV

I'm 62, and use the same system--right down to the patch of scotch tape on the non-dominant side. Well almost the same---my dominant (front sight)

side is the left. Takes me about 20 minutes to acclimate to the shooting glasses. Bolle Vigilantes with the Rx insert.

Still got some hair left but hope I don't pull it out over this vision thing!!!

Now the OTHER HALF of this is when I get the delta point 2 on WHAT THEN?

Have not shot a MRD on a pistol before.... Stopped shooting open division when optics came to open... Started shooting production/limited 10 than said Hell with it and used my carry Officers and crossed over to iDPA....

Well DADDYS BACK LoL... And wants to play on the DARK SIDE again!!!! Untill the new delta point comes out I will be driving my open CORE with Iron Sites! That will instill muscle memory then after the deltas on and dialed in the sites will be removed

fxdc, I have the same problem, and found that dedicated shooting glasses works for me. The left lens is normal for seeing the targets, the right one also, except that a small lens is fitted in the left upper corner as well, this one specifically for focussing your right eye on the front sight when you shoot, and this is when we normally drop the head slightly. When you look up again, this little lens does not bother you at all. It did take a week or two to get used to, and works fine for me.

Have a look here http://www.hansenseagleeye.info/eagle-eye-brand.html

The second one down on the list, is for our sport. Make a copy of the page, take it to your local optician, and have him make you a pair.

Happy shooting!!!

Of course, YMMV

This is the exact set up I recently went to. It did take a bit of getting used to, but I think it's starting to work pretty good for me now. I had to tape the left lens a bit just because I'm left dominant and shoot right - I have to do this to all my shooting glasses. Although these new prescription glasses make my right eye pick up the front sight quicker than normal glasses, it's instantaneous every time once I obscure the left lens a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 63 years old and as very nearsighted until I had Lasik surgery about 9 years ago. The doctor did mono-vision and undercorrected my left eye so I could see the front sights. Things worked perfectly until about three years ago when I became increasingly farsighted and had more difficultly with near vision. My eye doctor, who is an avid bullseye shooter and trap shooter, recommended progressive lenses. The first pair worked fairly welluntil my farsightedness worsened.

I've ordered a second set of progressive lenses for my current prescription and had the optometrist make the "near vision" part include the lower 55% of the lens, the "middle vision part" be about the next 10%, and the "far vision" part be the upper 35% of the lenses. The lenses haven't arrived year, but hopefully I will again remember to find the target using the distance vision and tilt my head back a few degrees to use the near vision part of the lenses.