Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rooting the sear cage in place

Rdelawder

I've never heard the phrase, but I can imagine it involves tightening up the sear cage in the frame; I have a gunsmith manual from the P9 glory days which talks about welding the back of the sear cage and grinding it to fit tight. The reasoning is that a loose sear cage needs more sear engagement to prevent hammer follow than a tight one.

It really only matters when you're pushing the envelope with really light triggers (in the one pound range). I've noticed the Tactical Sport sear cages have springs at the back to tighten them up, resulting in a lighter, cleaner break.

Heh.

Im guessing you took this from my for sale ad. You could have just asked. :)

The Sear cages it these pistols basically just float in the frame. Remember that the sear is part of that sear cage so it is free to move as the sear cage moves. When the trigger is pressed, the trigger bar causes flex in the sear cage which you can feel as the sear releases. Rooting the sear cage in place basically means eliminating the movement through a variety of different methods. You end up with a smoother double action and more crisp single action break.

Rob posted this question on here based upon my advice. He's new, as stated, and I suggested he get familiar with the Enos fraternity,

No slight was intended to anybody.

What are the methods for "rooting" the sear cage in place?

Thank you for the counsel and answers.

Its all gravy!!! I just think that going to the source is usually the best course of action when there are questions that need answering.

One method to easily do this on the CZ is to use oversized drill rod in place of the hammer retaining pin.

That's basically what I did -- except I used a spare hammer pin. My stock Retaining Peg/Pin is about 0.260". I ended up trimming my spare hammer pin to about 0.288".

Its all gravy!!! I just think that going to the source is usually the best course of action when there are questions that need answering.

One method to easily do this on the CZ is to use oversized drill rod in place of the hammer retaining pin.

length is what you want, the longer pin pushes on the bottom of the sear cage right where it slips under the frame so if fit tightly enough you have pressure from top and bottom. I find the pin method to be the best one for the amount of work, nothing beats welding/brazing the cage and fitting it but it's not as pretty or easy as the pin method.

Edited by thompsoncustom

Thanks for the answers and explanations on how its done. Now for another question on this process of tuning the gun. Is this type of modifcation legal for USPSA Production Class? I currently shot Single Stack, my interest in the CZ Shadow is driven by my desire to start shooting production class. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or answers on the question.

Anyone ever try a dab of JB weld on the back of the sear cage? Seems like and easy way to fill the void...

That does work.

I just run tumbler safeties.

You have to change out the housing too. But its pretty no fuss