Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to start new USPSA Club- Gainesville Florida

dossauce

Hey everyone,
I am a member of the University of Florida Pistol Team. We shoot up in Gainesville FL at our local range Gainesville Target Range (GTR) and currently host a steel challenge once a month on the 1st Sunday.

We are on our off season now and looking to temporarily replace our Steel Challenge match with a USPSA match and looking to see who may be interested in shooting, stage planning, and just helping out in any way. Even if you are not local we would love to hear your advice in helping us to get started.

GTR currently hosts IDPA, 2-gun, and cowboy action so we are covered on steel, targets, and stands. We are really looking for how to get started and host a match.

We are also looking for current clubs in the area that wouldn't mind traveling to Gainesville for a few matches and help get us on our feet and get situated. That is how our current IDPA club got started, a huge thank you to our shooter friends over in Jax for that.

Thanks everyone.

I'll be there if you choose to hold matches on Saturday. Otherwise no.

No club on the east coast of Florida holds Saturday Matches

I am a RO and was the Assistant Match Director and Stats geek at Powerline Range (Deon's place) when it was operational

Edited by waynes_world_45

USPSA has been tried at GTR before....and failed...I know many who shot the old USPSA match that have sworn to never shoot there again...but that also may depend upon who is running the match. I'm gonna send you a pm...

You need to contact Bruce Wells the Section Coordinator. He can fill you in on the previous problems at the range. I will PM Bruce's phone number.

Tony Hyatt dealt with it at the time. It boils down to a couple issues. the staff there not wanting to relinquish control to the experienced Match Directors. The MDs would point out a safety issue or other USPSA violation and the staff would get mad. Another issue of the staff wanting to have hot guns on the stages.

Edited by waynes_world_45

Wayne hit it dead on the head. Those were the exact problems. In addition their staff would shoot and RO and had no clue what the rules were and would not listen to the people that knew the rules. It is a nice facility wish they could work out the problems. A Sunday match would be great also.

Edited by Jaxshooter

The final straw was a couple of very experienced RO's tweaking a stage to make it legal....and the range management DQ'ed them...there were illegal stages almost every month...people shooting in the wrong divisions...after being told they were in the wrong divisions...and their score standing...many many hijinks and shenanigans going on...

Hey everyone, we appreciate the support greatly although we want you all to know this is something that is being started by the UF pistol team, just like we host the steel challenge matches. We are doing so because a few of us are really getting into the sport and want to have a place to call home in regards to a match. We travel as much as we can, sometimes two matches in a weekend, so please say hi if you see us out at any of the matches! Eventually we will want to take a lessor role so we can get back to steel challenge but for the time being this match will be ran and hosted by the UF Pistol Team. Thanks everyone!

I am new to FL from MN and would be willing to help with a USPSA club in Gainesville. I live in Summerfield (northwest of the Villages). I am an A open shooter, a CRO, a former USPSA club president and an experienced Match Director and course designer. As I am retired I have time to help set up matches.

Bob Mills 320-224-8578

TY-27735