Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

June

benos

(This is a two part task.) Your job, should you choose to accept it:

Task one: You can only move 2 "sticks" to create 4 equally sized squares from the 5 original squares in the graphic below. There cannot be any "straggler" sticks (that's aren't actively making a square), and you can't do anything stupid like pile sticks on top of each other. You must end up with 4 SQUARES, not rectangles.

Task two: Starting from the original 5 square layout, again you can only move two sticks to make 4 squares, but, this time the squares should/will not be all the same size.

And, since I can't think of an easy way for you to type the answer, part of the challenge is you have to send me a graphic representation of your answer in an email. Or if you're really cool, post it yourself. (Oh yea, send or post the image as a jpg or gif file.)

I know there's some sharp trivia masters out there who'd get either one of the tasks fairly quickly. So I made it a two part challenge in hopes of slowing you down just a little bit.

have fun -

be

fivetofour.jpg

Quote: from benos on 12:46 pm on June 6, 2002 You can only move 2 "sticks" to create 4 equally sized squares from the 5 original squares in the graphic below.

fivetofour.jpg

come on dude read the directions.

Yeah, the second half is pretty easy.  That first part hurts though.  I thought I had it twice but both times I had either overlapped sticks or created rectangles (or both).  GRRRR... 2.gif

-jhgtyre

Man, I can't believe there is "toothpick" website. (A neighbor showed me the puzzle.)

Well, I only found the first task's solution on the website kaiserb posted, so technically he wins half a book. And then EricW wins the other half with his "4 squares of not necessarily the same size" post. (Actually, there's several ways to solve that one.)

So you guys will have to let me know what we should do...

Now that I've found that toothpick website, I'm not going to get anything done.

be

Over the weekend I got an email from Jarrod R, in which he'd correctly drawn both answers. Maybe we should just give the win to him? He is the only person thus far to submit/post both answers, correctly... those were "the rules" weren't they?

:)

be

I recind my orginal answer and therefore disqualify myself.  I think I got a little too creative.  Yes it should have only been 4 squares in the first one and; yes it should have been all squares in the second one...

I can do match stick puzzles like crazy but I can not read instructions  :)

kaiserb,

"I recind my orginal answer and therefore disqualify myself."

lol!

Jarrod,

It looks like you're the big winner. Nice work! Did you "get it" easily, or did it take some work. (The first one hurt me for awhile. In fact, I "made up" the  second one while working on the first.) Send me your shipping info in an email or message and I'll ship 'er out.

be

However - good work! I enjoy trying those type exercises because of the visualization challenge they pose. Especially without writing anything down or using sticks or whatever.

be