Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reamed too deep?

Craig N

I got my reamer in and used a dummy round that measured 1.1299 with the lead bullet that I use. I know you can shoot 40 S&W in a 10mm but I have never done that or see any 40 rounds in a 10mm chamber.

Did I go to far? Is this safe? I shot a couple of rounds and the cases looked the same as the ones from the factory barrel. There was a little more leading in the KKM than I had noticed before...but I might have be seeing more because I'm not sure I didn't mess it up. I guess I'm more worried that I messing up the head spacing.

This is 2 rounds of my reload side by side with the KKM I reamed and Glock Factory (1.1225~)

reloadwithbulletIreameditoutfor.jpg

This is 2 rounds of Factory Speer 40 S&W

Factory.jpg

I'm not sure what issues that would cause but I definitely wouldn't use it like that....your rounds would be headspacing off the extractor.

Did you mean to get a throat reamer and used a chamber reamer instead?

Edited by entropic

Load the bullet longer until the head of the cartridge is even with the barrel hood and then give it a try.

Do not do this!

You wouldn't be able to load long enough to fit in a glock mag anyway if you reamed it to 10mm.

I'm not reaming it on down to 10mm. I'm stupid but not THAT stupid! :roflol:

I'm not sure what issues that would cause but I definitely wouldn't use it like that....your rounds would be headspacing off the extractor.

Did you mean to get a throat reamer and used a chamber reamer instead?

Yeah little confusion with the descriptions and stuff on the Brownell's site.

I do not see a safety issue - the issue would be reliability - the extractor may not always hold the case securely enough to ignite. I would load the COL as long as the magazine permits and test for accuracy and reliability before tossing the barrel.

The .40 S&W headspaces off the Case mouth, this is a ruined barrel, unless you can invent a moon clip for a Glock, JK!! maybe post it on the forum for someone who needs a short chambered 10mm. And possibly lend them your reamer to finish the chamber. I also agree and think you might have used a chambering reamer instead of a throating reamer, or finishing reamer. Betcha won't do that again.

I'm not sure what the "DO NOT TRY THIS" is based on. Many rifle experts suggest loading rifle cartridge so the bullet is 3 or 4 thousandths from the rifling as one of the things to do in a search for best accuracy. So loading the pistol cartridge in the same manner should have no danger involved as the pressures in most pistol cartridges are considerably lower than most rifle cartridges.

You could load the bullet so the case head is 3 or 4 thousandths below the hood of the barrel for the exact same effect.

Admittedly, the cartridge might not work in the magazines but I cannot see that there would be a risk involved in loading one up and trying it.

Load the bullet longer until the head of the cartridge is even with the barrel hood and then give it a try.

Do not do this!

You wouldn't be able to load long enough to fit in a glock mag anyway if you reamed it to 10mm.

Matt...he could get some glock 10mm mags?!?!

10mm is on the large frame is it not? I assume this is a G22 which is a short frame. You can't even run 1.200" ammo in a G22 let alone 10mm.

Ah Ok...makes sense. I was assuming the frame was the same size for all glock calibers.

I'm not sure what the "DO NOT TRY THIS" is based on. Many rifle experts suggest loading rifle cartridge so the bullet is 3 or 4 thousandths from the rifling as one of the things to do in a search for best accuracy. So loading the pistol cartridge in the same manner should have no danger involved as the pressures in most pistol cartridges are considerably lower than most rifle cartridges.

You could load the bullet so the case head is 3 or 4 thousandths below the hood of the barrel for the exact same effect.

Admittedly, the cartridge might not work in the magazines but I cannot see that there would be a risk involved in loading one up and trying it.

With the cartridge that short and not head spacing off the mouth of the case, there is going to be no problem, As the Glock is not a controlled feed and the firing pin will never reach the primer, so click away and then repost so we can figure out why you have a Failure to Fire condition, I have a sneaking suspicion that it Rhymes with "Shed Trace" LOL