Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G26 for IDPA?

brianr34

Just curious on feedback on those who have used a G26 for IDPA.

I often hear the G26 is accurate at shorter distances. Usually IDPA only requires one mag change per stage.

If I only had one Glock, just wondering how much disadvantage I would be in, if I used G26?

I suppose a really good shooter could still make master level with G26?

Is that the gun you own now or the one you want to get?

Definitely don't buy the G26 just for IDPA unless it's a Bug Gun match.

A very good shooter could make Master with a G26 nut it certainly would be easier with a 19, 17, or 34.

I started USPSA with a G19 which worked fine to start out but within a few months I picked up a G34 and never looked back.

I bought a G26 for carry at one point. I found that it was accurate but with that shoot sight radius minor misalignment s can make a big difference down range. Also, even with the finger extension on the magazine I didn't feel nearly as confident shooting it as I did my Glock 19 or certainly my 34. The little short magazines are harder for me to grab and reload quickly, especially since I have to get so much of my hand out of the way to find the magwell which sits much deeper into my grip. I also found that where I usually carried (IWB) that it was just as easy for me to carry my G19 which was just as concealable but much better shooting. G26 was too big for Pocket carry so the only additional carry alternative that I had for the G26 over the 19 was an ankle holster. Those are super impractical by the way.

In summary, yes, you can shoot it in IDPA but almost any other Glock would be much better.

Edited by alma

You can definitely make do with a g26 and 3 magazines if that's what you have. No problem.......But if you don't have a pistol yet I would say go with the G19.......That's a gun you can use for concealed carry and IDPA............But if you are looking for a gun exclusively for IDPA go with a G17 or G34.......

I have used the Glock 26 in local IDPA (Non-BUG) matches. It's shorter sight radius does make you work harder re: "long range" shots and I've struggled getting good angle on the mag release button (considering a G 34 release button). It all goes to shooter motive. So once you answer (to your satisfaction) why you would select a Glock 26, forge ahead. I do agree that 3 mags for IDPA is the way to go regardless of pistol choice. Allows for the unforseen issues you might encounter in a match

The biggest problem i have had with shooting my G26 in IDPA is with the reload. With the grip as short as it is, when i release the mag it comes out about half way and makes contact with the bottom of my hand. Then i end up having to pull it out with my other hand. The G26 is very accurate, but as mentioned by Alma it takes a better sight picture than the longer radius guns to get your hits. If I where to only buy one Glock I would lean towards the G19 as well.

To echo what others are saying, get a G19 if you want to carry and compete with the same gun. Otherwise, get a G17 or G34 if it's for competition only.

The short sight radius on the G26 forces you to slow down and get a more precise sight picture on smaller targets, and the short grip interferes with reloads and gives your hands less purchase to control the muzzle.

Sure, a good shooter can do okay with a G26, but why handicap yourself?

I had a G17, but sold it before I found IDPA and 3-Gun.....still feeling stupid about that decision. I use my G19 in IDPA due to the challenges stated above. I will purchase a G34 soon to improve my hits. I did find myself working hard to get good hits with the G26 while moving through the stages. Standing still and taking extra time, I could hit my targets okay. I concur for dual purpose, get the G19 especially if you are skinny like me. A larger body type may be able to use the G17 as an all purpose gun.

I have seen a few used at local matches. One guy had a devil of a time with steel using certain factory ammo out of a 26.

Oh and carry guns have no place in IDPA!

What a sad but true statement.

I used a g27 for my 1st year in IDPA because that was what I really carried and I didnt care about winning, it was more of a "use my carry gun under pressure and get some stick time on it. If you have it run it but if you are not planing on carrying and are going to buy a gun for comp get a 34 or 35

I often hear the G26 is accurate at shorter distances. Usually IDPA only requires one mag change per stage.

Our host once once won a 5 yard walk back drill at 80 yards using a Glock 26.......

.....so the accuracy really isn't an issue. Mag changes are what adds up time -- those short mags combined with a tiny grip make it more challenging to relaod on the clock.....

Then again, IDPA stages typically only have a single reload.

I've found it to be great fun to play with a gun I actually carry.....

Our host once once won a 5 yard walk back drill at 80 yards using a Glock 26.......

.....so the accuracy really isn't an issue. Mag changes are what adds up time -- those short mags combined with a tiny grip make it more challenging to relaod on the clock.....

It's not that the gun isn't mechanically accurate, or that you can't fire accurate shots with it, but the short sight radius really has very little forgiveness for the sights being even slightly misaligned. If you're front sight is left or right in the rear notch on a G34 on a 10 yard target, you will likely still hit an A or C. For a G26, if you're front sight is left or right in the rear notch, the angular displacement of the shot is greater and you are likely to have a D or miss. As a result, you have to slow down and look for near perfect alignment where as on a G34 you can accept slightly imperfect sight alignment depending on the target distance.

It's not that the gun isn't mechanically accurate, or that you can't fire accurate shots with it, but the short sight radius really has very little forgiveness for the sights being even slightly misaligned. If you're front sight is left or right in the rear notch on a G34 on a 10 yard target, you will likely still hit an A or C. For a G26, if you're front sight is left or right in the rear notch, the angular displacement of the shot is greater and you are likely to have a D or miss. As a result, you have to slow down and look for near perfect alignment where as on a G34 you can accept slightly imperfect sight alignment depending on the target distance.

Really? Wow -- I never knew that........ :devil:

Sounds like a training issue though......

....especially since we had a local shooter about ten years ago who shot his way to C class with his only gun at the time -- a G26.......

It really comes to seeing what you need to see. The original question asked about accuracy -- and the G26 delivers the accuracy needed to excel. Are other guns easier to learn to shoot to that same level? No doubt -- but does thatmean that they're the only valid choice? Probably not -- it depends on why you do this, and which challenge you seek at any given moment.

You can shoot a highly point all the way to C class. It is more the Indian than the arrow but still the point is valid.

Minor misalignments with sight alignment on a gun with a short sight radius will result in a greater error down range.

I have used my 26 in idpa and use it as my back up gun/off duty gun. You will be fine with it if you want to run it, I use a glock 34 since its easier to run, gives more velocity for power factor and the grip fits me better. I have a buddy who uses his glock 26 in every competition he does and he owns with it. Using one gun all the time will make you very proficient with it. The classifier course can easily be shot with a glock 26 and I'm sure if you gave one to a glock master ssp shooter he would still make master with it.