Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 9mm factory build What do you change and why?

tiger49931

My question here is basically what do you guys see as the flaw in the 2011 factory builds or their Achilles heel of the 2011 platform factory build. I just bought a marauder ( i know overpriced) But i wanted one so i got it. But what do you guys who have owned many of these and shot many more find to be the weakness and why ( it fails easily or they have a tendency to break? Or is it just more of a name thing Like bought best gun around the STI ______ and put in the _________ extractor and________hammer, ________ springs etc. just wondering.

I don't know how the 140mm mags are, but the mag base pads on the 126mm are junk. They flex too much causing mag eruptions. I replaced mine with some from Dawson's.

And not a failure point, but I prefer SVIs flat triggers.

Run it and see what it needs. I replace the trigger with a SVI short flat, Dawson Posi-Lock mag catch (supposed to prevent mag over insertion), Dawson magwell. I also tune my mags so that they are in spec (per Dawson tuning kit) and check/adjust extractor tension. This prevents/fixes feed and extraction issues. With all this done, I haven't had any issues.

As for the why, most have their preferences, and once you find what works, I tend to stick with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Quack

Marauder Is basically a refinished Eagle with some add ons. I bought a Dawson CRP Eagle instead, saving $500 and getting the front sight I really like. The Dawson ICE magwell is a bit better than the STI magwell and Dave installs his mag catch. The trigger is very good out of the box, but if you like a different style trigger you can change it out.

So far I have had no problems with the STI 140 mags, fortunately if I do Dave's place is a short drive away for bases and other parts.

ya i know its just An eagle with some addons. but im going to use it in idpa for esp division. so the ice is a no go. was thinking about the sights haven't seen them yet on the marauder. i do like daves tho. The reason i started this is because talking to a few guys i hear them say get the firing system and extractor changed and it will e good. was just wondering if thats a preference of if there was something to it

Lists of replacement parts usually come from shooters who have worked through finding parts that work for them. If you can shoot different guns with different parts and see what you like you can start to get an idea for your own gun. Upgraded parts are well worth the money, but take your time. A light crisp trigger gets more and more important as you develop; the right spring weights, sights, grip textures all make a difference. Enjoy learning.

Most of the changes I make to a STI are for personal preference. Sights: prefer narrow fiber optic front sights. BTGS: the stock STI BTGS causes hot spots in the web of my hand. Stippling or grip reduction: makes the wide body fit better in my hand. Barrel and bushing: depends on how accurate the stock one is. MSH: I prefer an arched one. Sear/hammer: depends on how long a trigger job will last using stock parts... I have one 2011 where the trigger job didn't last despite my GS' efforts so we swapped out the stock hammer/sear to an EGW. On the other hand the trigger job on my Trojan using stock parts still gives me a crisp 2 lb pull after 4 years... so it is still in the gun.

I use aftermarket followers and basepads in my 140 mags to increase capacity. But I haven't changed anything in my 126mm mags since when I use those I am not concerned with adding capacity and they work just fine in stock configuration.

Run it stock for a season til something breaks or you decide you KNOW you need something. Box stock guns usually run just fine. Stock mags run fine as long as the feed lips are the right dimensions. Factory trigger parts work fine, and if you ever decide to go for a good sub 2 pound trigger that will stay reliable you could always upgrade parts later.

Only change I would make out of the box is checking extractor tension, adjust and polish hammer/ sear a little, and tune the mags for reliability (not capacity). Possibly change recoil spring to a lighter one.

You don't NEED anything.

Edited by sfinney