Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mental block on Classifiers...

mnc516

Ok, so I'm doing pretty fair on most stages, I'm a low B shooter in Limited right now, and this is my second year. About July of last year I decided to join the USPSA and attempt to be competitive. As soon as I decided to compete, instead of just striving to get better, I started blowing classifiers. At first, I thought it was the pressure I put on myself to get "ranked", now, I'm not sure what it is... Saturday, shot a local match, averaged around 75% points in 3 stages, took first in one, but on the classifier, only got 26% and just imploded.... I do know that part of my problem was I wasn't thoroughly prepared, hadn't done enough practice, etc..

My question is, how do you break the mental block on something like this? Even as I go to the match, I tell myself just relax, take every stage one at a time, but it seems I keep blowing classifiers.... Help??

You shot 75% in three stages and 26% on the classifier?

Sounds like on the three stages you shot A's as quickly as you were able to,

and on the classifier you didn't?

Did you shoot the classifier faster than you were able to shoot A's? and missed?

Get procedurals? Shot too slowly to ensure that you shot all A's? Did you

shoot a no-shoot?

As sfinney mentioned above, it's Just Another Stage - shoot A's as quickly as

you are able - works every time. :cheers:

So I am with you in that I struggle with classifiers. It is easy to just say "treat it like any other stage" when in fact it is not just like any other stage. I chose not to put myself in a state of denial.

With me I know that I should be a M by now and I want to be a M and currently sit at about 82%. This desire is what sets me up to fail. SO knowing that it is something I desire this in turn makes the classifier NOT just any other stage.

What do I do?

I fricken' go for broke! Hero or Zero! Is this the best policy? Probably not but it gets me in the right frame of mind so that I don't care as much. It helps ME eliminate the desire factor and I just shoot free. Without care of the results, either in the match or my classification. It is when I care I start thinking and thinking is the enemy!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

So I am with you in that I struggle with classifiers. It is easy to just say "treat it like any other stage" when in fact it is not just like any other stage. I chose not to put myself in a state of denial.

With me I know that I should be a M by now and I want to be a M and currently sit at about 82%. This desire is what sets me up to fail. SO knowing that it is something I desire this in turn makes the classifier NOT just any other stage.

What do I do?

I fricken' go for broke! Hero or Zero! Is this the best policy? Probably not but it gets me in the right frame of mind so that I don't care as much. It helps ME eliminate the desire factor and I just shoot free. Without care of the results, either in the match or my classification. It is when I care I start thinking and thinking is the enemy!

Sounds like you have given yourself an excuse for failure. Zero or hero rarely makes you into a hero.

Edited by Supermoto

True it is difficult. And this MAY also be a limiting factor.

Let me put it this way. I very much practice a no mind in my everyday. I am far from nirvana. However, in understanding my current Mind limitation I seek to find my no mind, the way I have been achieving that is to give myself this freedom of not caring. I now step to the line knowing that all I need to do is see. I have alleviated the self imposed demand for an expected outcome.

It is easy to just say "treat it like any other stage" when in fact it is not just like any other stage.

I agree, they are not like any other stage. Classifiers are usually the easiest stages I encounter. Limited movement, no need to come up with a game plan, limited skill set required(draw, shoot, reload), etc.

I go for broke! Hero or Zero! Is this the best policy? Probably not but it gets me in the right frame of mind so that I don't care as much.

I guess I'd recommend the same policy on the other 4-5 stages, then. Hero or Zero.

Keep trying it until you are positive it doesn't work.

Then, treat the classifier like "any other COF" - shoot A's as quickly as you can

just like you're doing on all the other COF's. :cheers:

Yeah I guess we are all saying the same thing. Indeed I do approach the other stages in that fashion.

I guess the rub is the negative connotation in the phrase "hero or zero" and perhaps some are making to fine a point so let me rephrase.

Burn it down like a bad ass mofo!!!! :devil:

Edited by StraightUp_OG

It is easy to just say "treat it like any other stage" when in fact it is not just like any other stage.

I agree, they are not like any other stage. Classifiers are usually the easiest stages I encounter. Limited movement, no need to come up with a game plan, limited skill set required(draw, shoot, reload), etc.

I usually treat classifiers as high risk stages. They are usually are low points but with lots of penalty targets. Easy place to lose a match, rarely will you win a match. Shoot it clean, move on

• 4 weeks later...

I am in a worse predicament. I hold a B Class Limited rating but have not shot a state or area match in more than 12 years. I have shot a couple of local matches in the last 5 years. I have about 1000 rounds of loaded 40 cal and about 1000 loaded 45 that I can shoot. The issue is that I have just sold my house and have packed all the reloading equipment away. I retired a year ago and now have time to get back to shooting again. Job tie down was the issue before, but now I am a free man! I am going to get in gear and get back to shooting local matches again after I move into my temporary quarters. It will be almost a year before the Retirement Villa is built, so I am going to get into Shooting Mode and work my way back up to B class, which from my viewpoint is possibly the easiest class to get into and the hardest to get out of!

Saturday, shot a local match, averaged around 75% points in 3 stages, took first in one, but on the classifier, only got 26% and just imploded....

Comparing ones stage performance in a local match is not a good indicator of our true potential. You may be the top dog at your local club level matches but remember that classifiers are gauged by the historical top performer at a National level.

Shooting alphas as quickly as you can should fix that right up. A stage is a stage, doesn't matter if its at a local practice match or a sectional championship. Most important thing is to enjoy yourself safely.