Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22/45 Lite or MKIII Target for Steel Challenge?

Gooldylocks

So I have decided that I really want to start shooting Steel matches from time to time, both because they are cheaper than USPSA and hey, I can shoot a .22 which is always fun.

I was down at my LGS today and was looking at a 22/45 Lite. They seem to be a nice gun, and I really like the idea of running that light short gun for the faster transitions, but then I got to thinking about recoil (even though there is hardly any with a .22) and maybe the steel gun would be better than the plastic? Do the .22 caliber compensators make a difference, the tac-sol design doesn't seem like it would keep the gun flat at all with holes all the way around.

The other thing to think about is my dad has a MKII, so if I got the MKIII then we could share magazines.

Lastly, I shoot a Glock 35 for USPSA, and the grip angle of the Mark series guns is closer to a Glock than the 22/45 1911 grip angle. Would it mess me up to go back and forth from such different grips?

Sorry for so many questions, thanks in advance for all the help!

Some of it depends on skill level. I shoot the 22/45 Lite the fastest, however, it is too light for my boys still. They do better with the smoother (because it is heavier) MkII. My wife shoots a 22/45 in the standard weight and does not like the Lite at all.

I see. Do you feel like the steel gun shoots flatter than the 22/45? Do you have a comp on the Lite? At my local shop the Lite is 409 and the standard 22/45 with bull barrel is 350. I figure if the lite with a comp shoots just as flat as one of the mark guns then maybe I should just get the steel gun for the grip angle.

Do you like the Lite because it transitions faster?

I shoot a 22/45 Target and love it. Make sure you get the model with the changeable grips. Shot 10.60 on Smoke and Hope this last weekend.

C-More Red Dot

MaddMacs Trigger job 1.75lbs

Rim Edge C-More Mount

Rim Edge Thumb Rest Coming

post-48359-0-87408600-1398138718_thumb.j

Edited by UFO

UFO, do you feel like the bull barrel soaks up some of the recoil or do you not notice either?

MarkCO, I guess I will need to try and find one to shoot side by side with my dad's MkII, and see if I can tell a difference. If I can't, then I guess I will get the steel gun so I can share magazines. When you say too twitchy do you mean like they blow past the target and have to come back to it, or that they have a hard time holding the sights on target?

Thanks for the help guys!

Cool to know. I like the idea of a threaded barrel for a comp (partly because it would look cool and partly because if I wanted to put a can on it I could) but if the bull vs lite barrel doesn't make a difference in muzzle flip or transition time then it's hard to justify the extra 60 bucks....

If you put a compensator on it you'll get bumped to open, something to consider if you were planning on sticking with iron sights.

I use a 22/45 model 10150 for steel challenge and it works very well for me. It's heavier than the Lite, but with the short barrel a lot lighter than the MK III. I haven't compared it to a Lite to see if I'd notice a difference on transitions.

I shoot a G34 in USPSA and the grip angle is different, but I don't have much trouble going back and forth. I prefer the 22/45 grip to the MK III.

I was planning on putting a dot on it and shooting open regardless, so that part doesn't much matter to me. Good to hear that you can change back and forth, it gives me hope.

I like the 22/45 grips and the ability to use 1911 grip panels, but was concerned about the grip angle. But hey, maybe its less of a big deal than I am making it out to be.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Sweet looking pistol you got there. I really need to just go shoot a few different setups this weekend and see what works for me.

Hopefully I can try out a few different pistols, since I will be at my first steel match on Sunday!

I was under the impression they weren't interchangeable either, but the guys at the gunshop assured me they were. I bought one and in testing today it worked fine. You just have to hold the magazine catch instead of just pulling it once. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with whichever grip suits you more, and as others have suggested, there's also the option of an ultralight Tacsol upper if you go for the MkIII (or a MkII). Different sights would probably yield the most benefit compared to shaving weight off the upper.

In keeping the gun flat, you have to remember there's a certain amount of time you'll take to get the gun between targets. One comp vs. the other might make a palpable difference on followup shots, but Steel Challenge is not a game about followups.

Slightly related, have you considered a MkII over a MkIII? They last basically forever, so there's no need to worry about buying it used, and I'm a fan of the MkII's lack of lawyer BS (LCI, mag disconnect). For your money, you could pick up a MkII for less than a new gun, and have some left over if you want to slick it up with new sights, trigger components, or a new upper.

• 5 months later...

I just picked up a 22/45 lite yesterday and 10/22 today so I am set for NSSF. I want to get a fiber optic front sight for the 22/45. Any suggestions?

ETA: Stopped by local gun shop and picked up Hi-Viz sight. I think I'm going to like it.

Edited by ZackJones