Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore

SilverBolt

Shot a local match today at our home and what do we see? Practiscore! First time using it. Pretty slick system once you get the hang of it. Results were up before we could get our gear in the car. We were quite surprised to see our club had bucked up for iPads and the system.

The latest iOS version of practiscore (1.6.2, though this was added in 1.6.1) has added a presentation treatment that is popularly called 'jitterbug', after the simplified senior citizens'-intended phone with really large numbers and buttons. For instance, the time entry control completely fills the screen, and the overall appearance is that of large screen-filling fonts that are easy to see outdoors, even in direct sunlight. I've tried it on an iPad outside in such lighting conditions (with the screen brightness turned all the way up) and I have no problem seeing the data on the screen. I've also used the android 1.2.12 version on a real android tablet (google nexus 7, again with the brightness maxed out) and readability is not an issue.

My home club was one of the first clubs to use this system and we bought a bunch of pre-owned Nooks with the flat white screen that is easier to see in the bright sunlight. Our stats guy runs around with his Tab showing the scoring system in color which is pretty snazzy. Once your force some of the folks to learn to use the system, it is so much better than the older programs that were out there (palms) and those were so much better than paper. Our scores are available for any competitor to see before they leave if they have the app on their smartphone. So much better than the old days of paper and snail mail.

One issue I am having with Practiscore results. I can see/find where I placed at each stage but no information on my times, huts, etc. When I go to look up individual results I plug in my USPSA number but nothing happens. Any help?

On practiscore.com? On my system, when you start putting in your uspsa#, a selection list appears below the text box with all the choices that fit the partial # that you've typed thus far. Pick one of those, and it fills in LName, FName - USPSA# in the text box and then the "show results" cmdbutton becomes active.

For whatever reason (which needs to be fixed), the columns of the stage results pages are set to a very wide fixed value, instead of letting them auto-adjust to character string width. If you scroll all the way to the bottom, there's a horizontal scroll bar that lets you drag left and right to see everything that is there.

• 2 weeks later...

How can I check if the entered scores are right? Before, we initial/sign the paper score and there's a duplicate copy given to the shooter.

After entering the scores you tap the review button. It gives you a summary of the hits, time, hit factor, etc. If you missed scoring a target it won't let you go to the summary screen.

It truly is an epic product. The Nooks are easier to read but being it wasn't designed for them they are a little funky to operate. I'd like to see a way to get the results at each stage by Bluetooth on your device so we wouldn't have to write them down at level 2 and up matches, but then that would really be out there.

It truly is an epic product. The Nooks are easier to read but being it wasn't designed for them they are a little funky to operate. I'd like to see a way to get the results at each stage by Bluetooth on your device so we wouldn't have to write them down at level 2 and up matches, but then that would really be out there.

I recall talk awhile back about emailing or texting the shooter his/her score as they finished a stage, but that would require the range to have WiFi access to the Internet, something a great number don't have.

BTW, Nooks don't do Bluetooth, but plenty of other all be it more expensive devices that can run PractiScore do. Also for Bluetooth to work the competitor would need an app on their device to retrieve the score.

Still in all, Bluetooth sending of scores is a interesting idea.

Edited by jdphotoguy

From scores review screen / Share / Share results with... / Bluetooth

BUT, that would require to pair devices, so, not exactly practical.

On the other hand you can send an sms from the same place (if device support it).

How can I check if the entered scores are right? Before, we initial/sign the paper score and there's a duplicate copy given to the shooter.

For our Level 1 matches we don't do a paper copy of the score, but at our upcoming Level 2 match we will, if I recall it is a USPSA requirement.

At some point I imagine PractiScore will incorporate a method to send the shooter a copy of his score before he leaves the stage.

Edited by jdphotoguy

From scores review screen / Share / Share results with... / Bluetooth

BUT, that would require to pair devices, so, not exactly practical.

On the other hand you can send an sms from the same place (if device support it).

Nooks. No Bluetooth.

I am losing faith in the Nooks, Cowtown classic used them, and a lot of them did not take the fine dusty enviroment we have here in Texas. Probably went through 2 cases of compressed air keeping them dust free. I going to order a Android OS based 7 inch tablet and see how it works, quick research though, shows very few with the long enough battery life we need for a full day of shooting.

Not canned air. You may inadvertently wedge some of the dust underneath the bezel and then you've got a problem. Get stiff bristled 1 inch wide paint brushes and go around the perimeter of the screen. Issue one with each nook.

Edited by wgnoyes

It just seemed like you tossed it out there without qualification, therefore suggesting to those new to this game and thus not yet experienced with the system that it would work on all platforms, including the nook. Please keep in mind that, regardless of what you may predisposed to believe, the nook simple touch is the overwhelming hands-down platform of choice for running the android version of PractiScore.

Edited by wgnoyes

How did I know you'd say that... I don't need to be predisposed, I know because we are receiving support requests from the users with variety of devices.

Anyhow, the "share" feature is actually an Android platform functionality. What you'll see under that menu depends on device and installed apps. Nothing really stops you from developing your own app that will share stuff to where you want... e.g. printing is one of the possibilities.

Where I said Nooks had BT? There are gazillion of different Android devices and most of them can run PractiScore app.

This is probably where the future lies but seeing them in the sun remains an issue. If someone can just find an Android device (with a decent sized screen) that's easy to read in the sun and costs less than $100 each then the biggest issue will be resolved.

Where I said Nooks had BT? There are gazillion of different Android devices and most of them can run PractiScore app.

This is probably where the future lies but seeing them in the sun remains an issue. If someone can just find an Android device (with a decent sized screen) that's easy to read in the sun and costs less than $100 each then the biggest issue will be resolved.

Yep.