Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget Reloader

I am just about ready to order my 650. I am very excited, but running on a tight budget. At first, I was not going to get a case collator. Now I am realizing that was not my brightest idea. I am looking at the Budget Reloader Collator. I have searched the forum, and used my Google-fu the best of my ability, I can’t find a review for them. I did find people asking about them, and I found the thread that descended into horribleness, but no one seems to have one. There is bound to be someone out there that has used it. To some the 100 bucks might not seem like a lot, but it is to me right now.

Edited by Bigblockbill

I bought my Dillon 650 back in 1994. I did not get the case feeder thinking I would get it later down the road because I did not want to spend the extra money. I reloaded the next 20 years without one. In the 90's I shot a lot of IPSC. I really can't tell you how much I reloaded but figure practice two days a week then a competition every weekend. I just kept filling that tube and at times I never realized I was out of cases until I didn't have one to set a bullet on.

For 20 years it worked and I never once missed not having the case feeder.

Then I bought one last month. I wished I had bought it 20 years ago. No I have proved you can load tons of rounds each week and do not need the case feeder. However if I could go back in time I would have come up with the money at that time to buy one form the day I bought my 650.

Over the years I had come up with other ideas such as extending the plastic tube and retrofitting a lee case collator. For me I just can't seeing them being a nice and great as the actual case feeder. I do know there is another company making case feeders for the 650 that are a little cheaper.

I would get it now they were a heck of a lot cheaper 20 years ago.

I started out with my Hornday LNL AP without the case feeder. Like the post above, I loaded many thousand rounds for about 4-5 years before purchasing the case feeder. The case feeder does help, but you can easily get into a rhythm reloading without it.

If your budget is truly very tight and you can't find another item to cut out, you can reload without the case feeder. If your long term intentions are to reload a large amount of bullets, continue down your path with the 650, whether you get the case loader now or later. If you don't intend on reloading but a few thousand rounds per year, you might consider getting a SDB.

Thanks Natgas thats what i was looking for. It was my understanding the Dillon only had a 1 year warranty, die to it being an electric part. And by the time I buy the extra plates for the Dillon it is almost twice the money. I am handy so if it needs a new switch or motor,that's no issue. I just don't have the desire to build the housing or plate. Once again thanks Natgas.

I have the Budget Reloader for my xl650. Has worked fine for the last year or so. He released a new shell plate that allows for almost all pistol and small rifle (single plate). I haven't started with reloading rifle rounds yet, so I can't comment on how well it works, but if it's like the pistols, it should feed fine.

If you are only reloading 1 caliber (or only small pistol calibers) then the $50 difference is too small to not get the Dillon. However, because I load 9, 357, 40, 45 and sometime soon I will start 223/5.56, the Budget Reloader was actually a better deal since I did not have to buy multiple case plates. So, at $40 a plate, to do all I want, it would actually be almost $150 - $200 more for the Dillon. That was significant for me, is it for you? That is up to you.

I opted to save a little myself and went with the budget reloader case feeder, its my one regret. I'm currently doing 9mm and it will work for a while then get jammed up, usually its because for whatever reason cases have gotten under the feeder plate. I have to dump the brass out remove the shell plate, put it back together again and hope for the best. The pictures of it make it look a lot more substantual than it is. Its a piece of junk that I will make do with untill it burns up or until I just say the heck with it and buy the dillon.

• 5 months later...

I can't comment on the Budget model but I bought the Dillon case feeder the same time I bought my 550B. Neuropathy of the hands forced me to move from my SDB to the 550. I also purchased the Mini Mr Bullet Feeder. Both work like a charm and I highly recommend both upgrades on any progressive press.

Ron

American by grace of God

Naval Aviator - Ex

NRA Life

SoFla Pistol Club

Hey buckaroo,

I´m coming from the 550 and wanted to go faster, so I switched to 650.

I´m doing now twice the ammo I did before in the same time.

The only thing that stops me is when I have to fill up the tube with brass.

I´m sure, that I can go a lot faster with a case feeder.

A 650 without a case feeder seems to me like running a race car with bycicle wheels.

But why spend more money than needed?

I´m pretty sure, that the Dillon case feeder is a good and well engineered product, which will do what it´s supposed to.

But when I buy it and have to add all the shell plates it is more than three times the money as I need for this BR case feeder, which runs with multiple ammo.

So anyone else who wants to bring in his experiences please?

Edited by jayjay1

I´m pretty sure, that the Dillon case feeder is a good and well engineered product

If you get a good one, yes. I have lots of Dillon case feeders and each has a unique personality. Some are problem children. If people are reporting these other case feeders are worse than Dillon then I'd definitely stay away.

I have a question going the other direction. Are the Hornady case feeders worth the extra money vs the Dillon?

I´m pretty sure, that the Dillon case feeder is a good and well engineered product

If you get a good one, yes. I have lots of Dillon case feeders and each has a unique personality. Some are problem children. If people are reporting these other case feeders are worse than Dillon then I'd definitely stay away.

I have a question going the other direction. Are the Hornady case feeders worth the extra money vs the Dillon?

Had a Hornady Lock-N-Load prior to my Dillons. Stay away from that case feeder. Not only is it loud, but it jams far more often than the Dillon. Brass waterfall on a regular basis.

I replied to jayjay1 earlier tonight through pm, but ill go ahead and share my full experience. The Budget reloader as been fine for the 9mm I am running through it. I also plan on 357 mag and 45 acp, so we will see how that works out. It is loud but that is due to the fact that there is a lot of brass tumbeling around in the top of the thing. So far I am happy with my purchase and it looks like ahirt of a feeder plate or hopper breakage everything could be fixed with fairly easily obtainable parts. I am happy with the purchase so far and as of now would do it again.

Are the Hornady case feeders worth the extra money vs the Dillon?

The reason the Hornady case feeder costs more than the Dillon "case feeder" is because when you buy the Hornady case feeder you get all of the parts that take a case from the tube and insert it into the shell plate AND a case collator to fill the tube up with.

The Dillon 650 comes from the factory with all of the case feed parts and tube. What you have to buy extra, that they mistakenly call a "case feeder" is just a collator or case feed feeder.

The LNL's lack of feeder parts is also why the base machine costs less, they just make up the difference with the upgrade.

I was using the large plate for 9mm and seemed to work pretty good. The problem I had was once the 9mm dropped from the plate they would turn sideways and jam up in the funnel. I had to get some kind of adapter thingy to fill in the gap. I now have the small pistol plate I use instead, but it came as an extra with a press that I had bought.

I never tried it with 380