Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First race wheelgun.

Kyle7735

Im considering a S&W 625JM as my first competitive wheelgun. For both ESR and USPSA revo.

Is there something else i should consider instead? Is there a better or cheaper choice?

I already load 45 so that is one big factor pushing for the 625.

Kyle,

The 625 JM in my opinion is the best revolver for the job in IDPA ESR division. The 625 JM for USPSA Is a good gun for the job, but the S&W 627 will probably be the best gun to have in local matches and area matches because those matches are not 6 shot friendly. Before the 8 shot minor I shot a 5" 625, but ESR limits you to a 4" barrel or shorter. So I would say the 625 JM fits your needs best without having to buy 2 revolvers to use in IDPA and USPSA plus you are already reloading 45 acp. You might be able to find one used for a good price.

The S&W 627 ( 8 shot 38 ) is new hotness for USPSA. As for cheaper, there will probably be some good deals on used 625s in the near future.

If i had cash to blow you Know i would have both. Probably a TRR8 for minor like yours. But New 625s arent exactly cheap and TRR8s are a freakin boatload. Also not entirely a fan of the whole short colt thing. When i try to learn about it it kinda rattles my mind a little.

Kyle,

The 625 JM in my opinion is the best revolver for the job in IDPA ESR division. The 625 JM for USPSA Is a good gun for the job, but the S&W 627 will probably be the best gun to have in local matches and area matches because those matches are not 6 shot friendly. Before the 8 shot minor I shot a 5" 625, but ESR limits you to a 4" barrel or shorter. So I would say the 625 JM fits your needs best without having to buy 2 revolvers to use in IDPA and USPSA plus you are already reloading 45 acp. You might be able to find one used for a good price.

Before i knew how competitions worked i wanted a 327/627 badly. (This was years ago way before 6MAJ/8Min) but after learning the rules and everything along with IDPAs rules my wanting shifted to the 625. Like i said to Alecmc if i could id have both.

You can only load 6 in IDPA, so the 8-shot 627 would be highly impractical for IDPA. There's really very few options for ESR outside the 625. Only options that immediately come to mind are kind of goofy:

A S&W 610 (10mm), which have become expensive collector's pieces. Or the 646 (.40 S&W version), also an expensive collector's piece these days.

It's occurred to me that it would be possible to have a 6 shot Model 28, 686, or similar cut for moon clips, and run something like what used be called .38 Heavy Duty loads (158 grains at 1100 FPS) in moonclips, and make power factor for ESR, but I can't think of any good reason for it.

Or a junker S&W M1917 that somebody chopped the barrel down to 4" or less on?

A 325 (alloy frame) might be fun, maybe not so much after 200 rounds.

So, if you want to shoot ESR, 99% chance that a 4" M625 is the way to do it. I don't know it it matters whether it's a JM model, PC model, or older used model, all will work.

One possible caveat, sometimes one of the 4" Model 22's (blue 45ACP N-frames) will come up on gunbroker for a low price, sometimes they go for less than $700. One of those would be kind of cool, and they look nice with the slim "mountain gun" type underlug, and they would work fine. But a 625 is probably better for IDPA, as the Model 22's have fixed rear sights.

Edited by johnmac

The guys are right,

I suppose if you need one gun, for BOTH, the 4" 625 is your ticket, shoot major in USPSA for a while until you buckle under the pressure and buy a 627. I love my 327 TRR8 guns but personally I wouldn't use them in USPSA with 135 PF loads, they're lightweight great for steel challenge, but I think the steel 627 is better suited for USPSA.

alec

The guys are right,

I suppose if you need one gun, for BOTH, the 4" 625 is your ticket, shoot major in USPSA for a while until you buckle under the pressure and buy a 627. I love my 327 TRR8 guns but personally I wouldn't use them in USPSA with 135 PF loads, they're lightweight great for steel challenge, but I think the steel 627 is better suited for USPSA.

alec

I guess search for cheap 625 begins.

Im used to shooting a gun even lighter than the TRR8 (Even if its an auto) so im not that worried about it. Honestly the most worrysome part about a 627/327 is the short colt/mid colt/all the things that go along with those guns. I like to think i have a basic understanding of things but loading short colts sounds like kinda a pain.

The guys are right,

alec

Im used to shooting a gun even lighter than the TRR8 (Even if its an auto) so im not that worried about it. Honestly the most worrysome part about a 627/327 is the short colt/mid colt/all the things that go along with those guns. I like to think i have a basic understanding of things but loading short colts sounds like kinda a pain.

you dont have to shoot short colts, in fact out of all the revo shooters I know, none of them shoot short colt, its split between specials and long colt.

Put a WTB in the classifieds, im sure you'll get some bites.

The guys are right,

alec

Loading Short Colt is easy, finding Powder and reasonably priced Primers, Now THAT'S Hard!!!

I'd rather shoot Jacketed, and may try the MG Carmoney is using someday, but my 627 shoots Bayou 160's with Clays at 850 f/s into one ragged hole at 25 and easily keeps them in the Bianchi X ring at 50.

The guys are right,

alec

you dont have to shoot short colts, in fact out of all the revo shooters I know, none of them shoot short colt, its split between specials and long colt.

Are specials not as much of a disadvantage as they seem? I thought the case groove wouldnt let thick enough clips be used.

The guys are right,

alec

Loading Short Colt is easy, finding Powder and reasonably priced Primers, Now THAT'S Hard!!!

I'd rather shoot Jacketed, and may try the MG Carmoney is using someday, but my 627 shoots Bayou 160's with Clays at 850 f/s into one ragged hole at 25 and easily keeps them in the Bianchi X ring at 50.

Powder and primers have been doing decently here. At least as far as availability.

Why do you wanna shoot jacketed if the Bayous shoot that good?

The guys are right,

alec

Are specials not as much of a disadvantage as they seem? I thought the case groove wouldnt let thick enough clips be used.

josh lentz for example shoots 38 special out of his 627 and his reloads blow most out of the water

im using long colts and I have no issues with the length slowing me down much.

The guys are right,

alec

Powder and primers have been doing decently here. At least as far as availability.

Never satisfied and it is a bit dirtier than Jacketed. But then Jacketed is still dirty compared to JHP.

The guys are right,

alec

josh lentz for example shoots 38 special out of his 627 and his reloads blow most out of the water

im using long colts and I have no issues with the length slowing me down much.

Interesting...didnt know lentz shot specials. The way its talked about its like shorts blow everything out of the water. However, i guess thats not entirely accurate.

The guys are right,

alec

Never satisfied and it is a bit dirtier than Jacketed. But then Jacketed is still dirty compared to JHP.

I know that never satisfied feeling.

Frankly guys, I'm not sure the MG 142s are the most accurate bullet out there for short colt. But one advantage I have noticed is that the gun stays unbelievably clean! I have shot multiple matches with my 627 lately, and you can hardly detect any dirt in or around the cylinder. There is something about that particular load/powder combination that makes it burn completely and leave virtually no residue.

Edited by Carmoney

Frankly guys, I'm not sure the MG 142s are the most accurate bullet out there for short colt. But one advantage I have noticed is that the gun stays unbelievably clean! I have shot multiple matches with my 627 lately, and you can hardly detect any dirt in or around the cylinder. There is something about that particular load/powder combination that makes it burn completely and leave virtually no residue.

Here here! I can't hardly stand plain lead bullets these days. First the lube gunks up your seating and crimp dies, then it gunks up your guns and hands.

I'm getting spoiled, the coated lead shoot pretty well and stay drastically cleaner. If only plated would shoot straight, I'd never have to clean my gun.

I have thousand of 38 special brass that I use for SC. Is it possible to trim down the brass to "make" 38 long colt? How would this effect the powder load that I use? I am currently using about 4gns of Trail Boss with 120gn LFP Cowboy bullets.

Edited by Macinaw

I have thousand of 38 special brass that I use for SC. Is it possible to trim down the brass to "make" 38 long colt? How would this effect the powder load that I use? I am currently using about 4gns of Trail Boss with 120gn LFNRP Cowboy bullets.

If your going to go through the trouble of cutting down cases from special length to long colt length, i'd go ahead and skip long colt entirely and cut them to "mid colt " length

If you're only using them for SC I don't see the advantage of cutting down good special brass. Now when the cases start to split at the mouth, there's a good reason to chop them down.

To the original question: 625 is the best answer.

I have thousand of 38 special brass that I use for SC. Is it possible to trim down the brass to "make" 38 long colt? How would this effect the powder load that I use? I am currently using about 4gns of Trail Boss with 120gn LFNRP Cowboy bullets.

If your going to go through the trouble of cutting down cases from special length to long colt length, i'd go ahead and skip long colt entirely and cut them to "mid colt " length

If you're only using them for SC I don't see the advantage of cutting down good special brass. Now when the cases start to split at the mouth, there's a good reason to chop them down.

To the original question: 625 is the best answer.

I plan on shooting USPSA-IPSC . Thanks for the info.!