Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning the forcing cone

Steve H

I recently started shooting the Revolver, and have noticed a bit of lead build up in the forcing cone....especially in my 625.........any cool, easy techniques for cleaning it out.

thanks

What type of projectiles you using?

I noticed virtually all leading disappeared when I went from cheap lead bullets, to coated lead bullets like the bayou bullets.

For the barrel, all 100% copper chore boy pads, or lewis lead remover

Edited by alecmc

I use a Lewis lead remover from Brownells.

I use the Lewis lead remover for the forcing cone. I did find that a little masking of vinyl tape wrapped around the aluminum cone let the brass mesh conform better to my S&W forcing cone and got the build up out quicker and easier.

For lead in the barrel I prefer some Copper Chore Boy scrubbing pad wrapped around an old cleaning brush to get lead out of the barrel. The Copper Chore Boy seems to work better with less elbow grease then the Lewis lead remover does on the barrel.

I use the Lewis Lead Remover and recently using some Copper Chore Boy also. I use the Lewis Lead Remover primarily on the forcing cone and some of the Copper Chore Boy wrapper around an old cleaning brush for the barrel. No problems with either product as they both work well and save time cleaning lead out quickly.

thanks fellas.........i was shooting the SNS coated bullets that I bought at Dillon, and recently shot some of the Billy Bullets....

I will get a Lewis Lead remover and give that a shot along with the copper Chore boy!

Steve H.

I also agree w/Warren. Shooting it out should be lots easier on the barrle in the long term rather than scraping it out.

I have the other part of the question. I don't understand how jacketed will clean the forcing cone. Could y'all add somemore about that job, please? Did I miss something?

I have the other part of the question. I don't understand how jacketed will clean the forcing cone. Could y'all add somemore about that job, please? Did I miss something?

I guess it's like a lewis lead remover going through the barrel at 800 feet per second.

I guess it's like a lewis lead remover going through the barrel at 800 feet per second.

:roflol:

I have used a solution of 50/50 regular hydrogen peroxide and vinegar on leaded baffles in a suppressor. It works great. 15 minutes and the stuff liquifies. It is probably highly toxic in this state, so I wear appropriate nitrile gloves and conduct the soaking outside.

I have run a patch of this solution thru leaded barrels, let sit for 15 minutes, brush a couple times, wipe clean, and then use conventional solvents for the final rinse.

For me it beats trying to abrade the stuff out. Be advised some people have posted on the net regarding this solution that it might pit steel, though I haven't seen that with my uses.

YMMV

Edited by stubbicatt

15 minutes and the stuff liquifies. It is probably highly toxic in this state,

Yes, highly toxic is actually correct. That "stuff" is lead acetate, and is one of the best ways to lead into your body. It absorbs thru your skin very easily so handle with care.