Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decent Rifle Light that doesn't break the bank?

steviesterno

I have my laser/light combo at 12.. thinking of putting this on at 9.. just for stages that need a little something extra...

Viking light mount...

Does that fit ok on standard rails? How about something like a Clock 34? That could be very handy

The best bang for your buck is a streamlight. For a rifle, go with the TLR-1 HPL. You'll be happy and for $175 with tape, you cannot beat it.

I like that one.. ~140 at Optics Planet.. weight ok for you? (I'm guessing I'll see you at the next night match.. lol)

another question.. I bought a cheap clamp on for my shotgun for a flashlight.. any one have a good alternative that have a rail that clamps on the mag tube?

since I posted this I had my second "real" night match. I went with a streamlight light/laser since I was shooting a buddy's pistol with it on. Had the green laser and worked out really well once we practiced and dialed it in. Also had the TLR HD I could swap between shotgun and rifle, and each had a streamlight 6p. the lower lumen 6ps seemed better at cutting through smoke and dust without getting as much splash back.

The real benefit was that we could have a head lamp. A streamlight 200 wide spread head lamp was almost good enough to shoot with no WML. worked well inside 30 yards, and gave good spread.

All good times but from this I learned I like lasers on my pistols as an option but use sights whenever possible. My carry gun now has green laser grips. And my HD pistol/rifle has the Streamlight TLR HD. I like that it lights up the whole room so I can ID what I'm looking at.

since I posted this I had my second "real" night match. I went with a streamlight light/laser since I was shooting a buddy's pistol with it on. Had the green laser and worked out really well once we practiced and dialed it in. Also had the TLR HD I could swap between shotgun and rifle, and each had a streamlight 6p. the lower lumen 6ps seemed better at cutting through smoke and dust without getting as much splash back.

The real benefit was that we could have a head lamp. A streamlight 200 wide spread head lamp was almost good enough to shoot with no WML. worked well inside 30 yards, and gave good spread.

All good times but from this I learned I like lasers on my pistols as an option but use sights whenever possible. My carry gun now has green laser grips. And my HD pistol/rifle has the Streamlight TLR HD. I like that it lights up the whole room so I can ID what I'm looking at.

I'd like to eventually go with Elzetta (or similar) that allows customization of beam spread.

I hate to recommend a non-American part, but I really like Fenix lights. They're made in China, but I've owned 3 so far and have been extremely pleased with them and their customer service; for me to recommend a Chinese product... well, that says a lot because I just don't do that!!! I have two Fenix PD22's which use 1 CR123 battery for 200ish lumens. You can get them on eBay or about $50. I keep one in my pocket and one on the rifle. With a Viking light mount, it's very lightweight and perfectly placed. Light plus mount will set you back about $70 based on what I just quick checked on eBay. I couldn't ask for a better setup... unless I built an Elzetta light and attached it in an Arisaka KeyMod mount for about $200, which I don't see happening anytime soon simply due to cost.

I have two of these now, one for my shotgun and one for my rifle.

Wyoming Arms makes a light body assembly for these that has an integrated rail attachment. They sell it for $150 with the lights installed that put out 960 lumens. It seems to throw light much more evenly around the bay versus having one bright central focal point. I got one for T&E from Wyoming Arms and was impressed enough that I bought a second outright. http://wyomingarms.com/product/wyo-light-wml/

light-body-assembly-for-fenix-pd35-light

I shot this last night in the field behind my house. I was just using some pivot head glasses so the actual light visible to the eye was better than what the video shows. The tree line is about 50 yards away.

This was testing lights in advance of the starlight 3 Gun match next week.

I am using a Steamlight TLR-1 HPL for any long range rifle work, a Surefire X300 Ultra for my pistol, and a WYO Light on each long gun for bay work.

Here is my setup as of now. I think the bipod and the TRL-1 HPL will come off until I hit a long range stage. https://instagram.com/p/7tOTOlkZJk/

Edited by alma

I hate to recommend a non-American part, but I really like Fenix lights. They're made in China, but I've owned 3 so far and have been extremely pleased with them and their customer service; for me to recommend a Chinese product... well, that says a lot because I just don't do that!!! I have two Fenix PD22's which use 1 CR123 battery for 200ish lumens. You can get them on eBay or about $50. I keep one in my pocket and one on the rifle. With a Viking light mount, it's very lightweight and perfectly placed. Light plus mount will set you back about $70 based on what I just quick checked on eBay. I couldn't ask for a better setup... unless I built an Elzetta light and attached it in an Arisaka KeyMod mount for about $200, which I don't see happening anytime soon simply due to cost.

I have two of these now, one for my shotgun and one for my rifle.

Wyoming Arms makes a light body assembly for these that has an integrated rail attachment. They sell it for $150 with the lights installed that put out 960 lumens. It seems to throw light much more evenly around the bay versus having one bright central focal point. I got one for T&E from Wyoming Arms and was impressed enough that I bought a second outright. http://wyomingarms.com/product/wyo-light-wml/

light-body-assembly-for-fenix-pd35-light

I just noticed that's a modified Fenix light. Nice! I'm glad to see Fenix is getting some recognition because it's a good company.

alma.. nice shooting!

I need a universal flashlight for a picatinny rail.. something like the VTAC.. any others that I should look at?

This light is available in a VTAC rail for 11 o'clock or 1 o'clock mounting

http://wyomingarms.com/product/light-body-assembly-for-fenix-pd35-light-troy-vtac-rail-eleven-oclock-position/

http://wyomingarms.com/product/light-body-assembly-troy-vtac-rail-one-oclock-position/

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-operator-l1-flashlight.html

I put this light in a std rail mount in a way to click the tail cap with my thumb. It is very bright and works great on my defensive carbine.. I liked it so much I bought a second one. I have several Surefires and Streamlights but this is definately a lot of bang for the buck.

Craig.

Hey all,

Looking to add a "tactical" light to an SBR for HD and the night matches they do around here. But I can't see dropping $300 on a flashlight, just kills me. Anyway, I'm looking for something decent that will work when needed and actually hold up to some light use. This won't see combat use, just safe and back every night and a night time match or 3.

what do you guys use for this? How do you have them mounted and set up? I currently have a diamond head tube, and will add a couple of short rail sections towards the front.

Thanks for the help!

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/gun-mounted-flashlights/streamlight-tlr-1-hl-weaponlight-prod56210.aspx

Patrol%20rifle%20build_zpsesqdvrl2.jpg

I like it almost as much as my Surefires X300 ultra's I mount them at 12 oclock.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I use a Surefire M952 weapon light purchased on Ebay. Ive actually purchased several. Theres a LED version that you typically can get for under $200.00 with both a pushbutton and a tape switch and includes the rail mount. The incandescent version is even less and can be easily upgraded to LED at a later date either with a Malkof device or surefire brand bulb assembly, which is what I did. It is bomb proof and looks right on an AR. I have a stream light TLR1-HL for my pistol and its awesome too, but is not as flexible on the AR as the M952. There is also a full array of filters available if you like for the M952. My son used it with the blue filter to track an arrowed deer a few nights ago.

• 1 month later...

I favor this: http://www.wayofthegun.us/plm-proctor-light-mount-v2/mount and the Streamlight PT1L for both EDC and for rifle: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pt1l

Been running my PT1L a long time and like it. Proctor runs the fool out of his gear.

$35 1 x CR123 light on Amazon, $68.50 small steel "PLM" Proctor Light Mount.

There are other ProTac models that would probably fit the mount.