Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 1911, STI or Para?

xdmjohn

• 4 weeks later...

Go with anything STI over Para. I had to send my STI single stack to Tripp to get it to run with factory length ammo but the fit, finish, and feel of the gun is just as good as most custom builds.

a friend here in S. California, has a STI Edge, brand new. shot it a few times, barrel link broke! frame was not cut correctly. its been fixed by a very good local smith in Norco.

But a 1800 dollar plus gun with a barrel not fitted correctly?

I dont care what the video shows but damn!

Here is another idea for you. Since you are speaking of a $1200 pistol, buy a Rock Island 10mm , change the barrel to a 40, do your trigger work, and have a custom built gun. Since Armscor makes the STI frames and slides, you would be in the same boat. Send the 10mm to Doug Jones at Accurail, he can make tack drivers and is very reasonable and a straight up guy to boot. The slide to frame fit on the Rock Islands are very good. Just an idea.

Here is another idea for you. Since you are speaking of a $1200 pistol, buy a Rock Island 10mm , change the barrel to a 40, do your trigger work, and have a custom built gun. Since Armscor makes the STI frames and slides, you would be in the same boat. Send the 10mm to Doug Jones at Accurail, he can make tack drivers and is very reasonable and a straight up guy to boot. The slide to frame fit on the Rock Islands are very good. Just an idea.

Armscor only make the Spartan line for STI.

The RIA 10mm is a bull barrel. Not all of the 10mm RIA's have slides cut for the bushing. And the ramp cut is unique that I was told I would have trouble finding a 40 barrel to put in it. I already thought of this, and went with a Para Pro Comp. By the time you buy the RIA 10mm, hope that it has a bushing cut slide, find a 40 barrel that would work in it, pay a smith to fit it all and hope it runs, you could be into a Para or Sig. I gave $902 for my Para, and I saw the Sig for $850 on gunbroker.

Edited by OPENB

I have a new Para Pro Custom 14.45...it's very underwhelming. The fit and finish are 2nd rate at best. I looked at cheaper Kimber's at gun shop this weekend that made my Para look like a RIA. On the plus side the barrel and bushing lockup is good and tight and it appears to group well.

Having said that I am shopping for ignition parts(trigger, sear, hammer spring) on Brownells today. They have free shipping today, BTW.

This will be my first and last Para Ordnance.

Powderman81

Purchased a Para Pro Custom this am, 14-45, I went from a Steyr which proceeded a Glock. I "feel" like I have just been welcomed to the big boys table...

The gun out of the box is great compared to what I shot in the past. My only negative first impression/issue: the Sights were adjusted all the way down so the first few shots I made, I thought I was losing it.... few shots and a few adjustments, my total groupage was about 3" after 50 rounds.

I looked at the STI Executive @ Bows and Barrell in St Robert,MO. http://www.bowandbarrelsports.com The STI was brand new and they have it priced basically at their cost, but it was still over $1000 different in price than the Para. If $$$ wasn't important, There is no question I would have bought the STI, but since that is not the case....

I look at it like this, I got a Z06, but the STI is the Ferrari... I am guessing the liking or not liking a specific gun may have something to do with experience and what they had shot in the past. For me, I am happy today.

Edited by bajaholic