Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 holster for limited/3-gun

asontag

I'm going to get an Edge for use in both 3-gun and USPSA limited. Since I will often be running around with the pistol in the holster for 3-gun, I want to make sure there is little chance of the pistol coming out and getting me DQd. Are the ghost or race master secure enough for this, or should I stick with kydex? What's everyone's favorite kydex for the Edge?

I might as well jump in on this one.

What holster is it for a LDC 5.5" gun? So far the only holster I have been able to find is one for a SV 6in LDC. I know it has to be for a 6in gun.

Not trying to jack the thread or anything but does anyone have a suggestion? Will the Bladetech DOH holster for a 5in LDC work?

Blade-Tech DOH, if you don't want to use a full race holster.

The SV 6" LDC should work for the 5.5". I have a friend using one with his Legion ( basically a STI Tac 5.0 with threaded barrel)

Here's a photo of a Blade-Tech for the Edge/LDC that I use for class.

i-BBvm8qw-L.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Quack

just keep in mind that many o guns have bounced out of poorly tightened kydex....

if you're going to run around make sure those screws are tight...

in USPSA we tend to loosen the crap out of those screws to minimize resistance...

that's not so great for 3 gun...

I use a skeletonized race holster when I shoot USPSA Limited Division with my 2011, but when I shoot 3-gun I use a kydex holster pretty much for the reasons you specified. This is the one: http://comholsters.com/themall/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=23&osCsid=68288d5a7f4058fa5139bdaee13b77c0

Its a dropped offset holster, but I much prefer it to the Bladetech DOH since it doesn't cant in towards your leg. Essentially you have a paddle that attaches to the belt and extends down your leg. Screwed into the paddle is a delrin block that provides the offset which you can mount at the desired height (drop) as well as cant. The kydex holster is attached to the block and has a finger tightened wingnut-type tension adjuster. It holds the gun securely and I've yet to have my gun fall out at a match (knock on wood).

Rick can custom make these holsters for a LDC, SDC, 5", 6" etc... Just give him a call and tell him what you need. I'm sure he can accommodate you. COM is often a sponsor for state/section level matches as well as Area 1 and supports the sport.

The Bladetech WRS is what I use. I ordered the longer strap to replace the normal one because you are often required to have your handgun hammer down on an empty chamber during a course of fire, the normal strap rubbed on my hammer when it was down. The longer strap secures the weapon cocked and locked, or hammer down. I believe USPSA rules state that if you have a retention strap on your holster, it needs to be used, just so you are aware of this for shooting limited at handgun only matches.

I really like the G-Code holsters but they didn't have one for the Edge style full dustcover weapons when I was looking.

Another thought, some match rules require the trigger area to be completely covered by the holster, I don't know if all of the race style holsters do that or not. I have never used one.

Edited by Brian Payne

Thanks for all the good info. I don't want to switch back and forth (I have enough trouble keeping one draw consistent!), so it looks like I'll be sticking with kydex. Not sure if I want to deal with level II retention for limited though. I tend to just tighten down the screws, so I think I'll give that a go for now.

• 2 weeks later...

The blade tech doh and wrs are the same holster just with or without the hood. I have both and jumping back and forth isn't that big of a deal if you don't want the hood for limited.

If you pay the money, take the vacation and travel to a major match, I think it's pretty dumb not to be running a level 2 holster. It's cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk