Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Priming Quick-Change assembly for 650

The 650 primer system is just that- go to Dillon's website, click on "Dillon Manuals" to download the manual. To change the primer system on the XL650, you first remove the shellplate. Then, removing two bolts detaches the priming system from the platform. Bolt on the replacement priming system, change the primer seating punch/bushing assembly( which comes with the machine, and threads into the underside of the platform-requires a 9/16" open end wrench to change), reinstall the shellplate, shellplate bolt, tighten the shellplate bolt retaining setscrew, and it's done.

Without a separate priming system, after removing the primer feed you need to swap out the magazine tube and the primer disc, then reinstall.

Without a separate priming system, after removing the primer feed you need to swap out the magazine tube and the primer disc, then reinstall.

...which takes all of about 30 seconds. I never saw the point in spending $70+ to save 30 seconds of work. :huh: [/mini-rant]

Ed

I never change my XL650 from small primer. If I ever need large amounts of anything other than what goes my current XL650 I will probably buy another one.

But if you only can afford one and you need to change primer size often I am with Run-n-gun. The advantage of changing all the internals on the primer mechanism is that you will be able to keep it cleaner and therefoore more reliable.

• 8 years later...

I "think" I like the idea of the quick change kit as I will be soon switching back and forth from 45ACP with Large Primers to 380 auto with small. Do I just need one kit to go back and forth????

Padraig

You only need to order one kit. Need to specify small or large, how ever you want it setup as. Then setup your old one in the opposite size and now you have quick change for both sizes.