Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1-4, 1-6, 1-8?

IceCold4x4

After reading this topic, I think I will just buy more ammo instead of a fancy scope. I am in the practice makes perfect camp even though my vision is not great! Thanks to the season responses......

Wise decision. I started with a 4 moa Aimpoint, then switched to a 1-4x Leupold with a firedot reticle, then moved on up to a 1-6x Razor HD Gen II with the JM reticle. Needless to say, I'm back to using the aimpoint on my primary rifle.

As long as you can see what you're aiming at and know your hold overs, you'll be good. Practicing your long range game is the most important thing in my opinion, not dropping a lot of money on optics. Practice in the form of shooting in unstable positions, understanding basic bullet trajectory and accepting the fact that different ammo has different POIs are all important.

That said, when you do decide to drop money on a scope, go big or go home. Might as well do it right when you do, cause you will not need to buy another one until you find one that supersedes your's and scope envy prevails.

I am just getting into the 3 gun game and first AR should be arriving in a month. After reading this post and talking to a few guys its clear that I should start with good 1x4 scope. especially since I live in New England and the longest shots might be 200 yrds but typically are 100 yrds. There is so much infomation out there my eyes are glazing over. So far I have narrowed it down to 4 products (all 1x4)

Nikon M223

Burris TAC 30

Leupold M223

Vortex Viper PST

whats the deal with the illuminated reticle? Is that something you really need? I guess from what I have read one of the keys on these scopes is clarity of the cross hairs for a specific distance. Do any of you have any opinions on these products? They seem to all have a good reputation.

thx

Edited by Quag

Yeh I did this review a month ago and ended up with the Burris MTAC 1x4 its about $100 more than I wanted to spend but then my wife does not read this board. Some of the other ones like the Vortex is pretty good also.

I have a hard time deciding against the MTAC/Tac30 due to reticle design. My eyes suck and the big honking reticle is easy to see. Ranging would have been nice but not necessary for us for the most part.

Burris MTAC should be in the mix.

Mark, is the glass any different between the MTAC and TAC 30? I know the difference with the illumination control, and the power adjustment is separate, neither is that big a deal.

I have 2 TAC 30's by the way, on the practice gun, and Nordic upper.

Burris MTAC should be in the mix.

Mark, is the glass any different between the MTAC and TAC 30? I know the difference with the illumination control, and the power adjustment is separate, neither is that big a deal.

I have 2 TAC 30's by the way, on the practice gun, and Nordic upper.

Nope.

However the new XTRIIs are a step up for sure.

My eyes suck and the big honking reticle is easy to see.

Maybe I missed it, is "big honking reticle" one of those technical optical terms I need to learn about?

BTW I get it, it makes sense. You want something that is built for shooting while moving not shooting from a bench rest.

Edited by Quag

I would LOVE a new Vortex 1-6. I held one in my sweaty hands at the NRA meeting this weekend and yet my Meopta 1-4 will hit anything out to the max I shoot at of about 350. I was gold last season as long as I spent Friday at the range banging the flasher. at 350. I made up a lot of handgun lost points with HV targets at range. This season I am not prepared and it showed badly yesterday. Practice not money. But Id still buy the Vortex if I had the spare coin now.

I have run Leupold 3-9 and 2.5-8 scopes, an Aimpoint T-1, and now a Vortex 1-6. The T-1 is the fastest by far out to 150 yards. Factor in how long it takes to switch the scope from1x to the higher magnification instead of just a mental holdover calculation and you see a slight difference in times on stages that have at least a few far/near switches.

I have run Leupold 3-9 and 2.5-8 scopes, an Aimpoint T-1, and now a Vortex 1-6. The T-1 is the fastest by far out to 150 yards. Factor in how long it takes to switch the scope from1x to the higher magnification instead of just a mental holdover calculation and you see a slight difference in times on stages that have at least a few far/near switches.

I have done drills testing red dots vs low power variables and irons from 15 to 100 yards and have found that a good 1-4,5,6 scope is just as fast as a red dot up close and is faster further out.

Pat