Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Front Sight - S&W 617

Dr.J

Does anyone make a fiber optic front sight for the S&W 617? I contacted SDM, they indicated that their front sight would not work due to its height. They stated that the rear sight would have to be unacceptably high. Does anyone have any suggestions? I use the gun to shoot steel challenge and think a fiber optic front sight would be helpful with my 67 year-old eyes. Thanks, Dr.J

I use a .250 tall SDM front sight on my 4" 617 with stock rear sights. They are elevated a bit but nothing crazy. Try it out, if you need a taller rear go with a .400 bowen or wegiand blade

I make one for the 617. it is .100 wide x .200 tall. Check out the Protocall Design vendor tent on this forum. I also have a fiber optic rear sight too. Some like a F/O rear, some don't. This way you have a choice.

I make one for the 617. it is .100 wide x .200 tall. Check out the Protocall Design vendor tent on this forum.

+1 on Warrens .100 wide x .200 tall FO front. It's perfect with a .160 rear.

I also recommend Warren's .200" sight.

If I had to do it again, I would go with the .200" tall sight...

The .200 tall front is just right with a .160 rear, or in my case, the tallest Bowen Rough Country rear. 617s come with an odd set of sight heights .167 front, .126 rear (?) that don't give a very good sight picture. The shallow rear notch in particular sucks. The taller rear blades have a deeper notch and contribute (along with the narrower .100 wide front) to a much better sight picture.

• 5 years later...

I just put a .250 SDM Super Sight on my 4" 617, and a .160 rear blade. I'll let you guys know how it works out on Monday.

If the .160 isn't tall enough, I've also got a .196.

The stock sights were as useless as the stock sights on a GI 1911.

Since the SDM is .250 x .125 I had to open up the rear sight blade both to make the notch deeper so I could see the whole fiber optic, and wider so I could see light around it.

Since a 6" gun would have it farther away, you may not need to do this.

On my 4" gun I had to. Tomorrow is the range day.

Edited by ysrracer

Yep, the correct setup for a S&W 617 seems to be a .200 tall .100 wide front slght with a .160 rear blade. Or a .225 - .250 tall front slght with a .196 rear blade.

The reason I went with the SDM Super Sight over the Dawson is the SDM has a larger fliber optic. On my 5" 627 it's the prefect setup for me. A 4" gun moves it closer to the rear blade, so it appears bigger (at least to me).