Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NST discontinued?

BostonBullit

Did I miss something? I just went to the B&N site to get current pricing on NSTs and they're nowhere to be found. The cheapest version is now the glowlight one. I asked the google machine and found a few references to them being dropped from the lineup in late Feb of this year. The local BestBuy had one in stock so I'm picking that up on the way home but do I have to start hording them now so I have spares on hand?

It has been dropped, but they still should be available. The glow light one is it now. I haven't tried rooting one of those yet. Eventually this will become like Palms were, and hopefully we've all moved on to real android and apple tablets by then. Practiscore on a real android tablet is ever so much smoother a presentation than it ever could be on a damned nook. We just latched onto nooks because of price, screen, and battery life.

It has been dropped, but they still should be available. The glow light one is it now. I haven't tried rooting one of those yet. Eventually this will become like Palms were, and hopefully we've all moved on to real android and apple tablets by then. Practiscore on a real android tablet is ever so much smoother a presentation than it ever could be on a damned nook. We just latched onto nooks because of price, screen, and battery life.

Can't wait to hear it from the club as we went NST on my insistence. Everyone always wants to go full color tablet, which I agree is the better user experience overall most of the time; but during times of bright direct sunlight that's been an issue. Although I must admit I pushed hard for the NST for one main reason: trying to make sure I had 5 fully charged color devices that could make it though a full match was without running out of juice or overheating was giving me indigestion. I have enough crap to think about and deal with on game day, I love being able to pull the NSTs out of a bag and not worry about them.

I have 5 in inventory right now and I'm picking two more up this evening. Hopefully by the time I have to worry about replacing any there's something reasonable on the market for color models.

If you need to buy in quantity call Best Buy. That's what we did when we needed several for our club. Their web site showed a limit of 3 but when the call was made the entire order was accepted over the phone.

Zack is correct. I placed a call and ordered a large quantity. The customer service rep will be confused, and likely question your sanity --- but, they'll place the order.

Also -- If you find a manager at a Barnes and Nobel, they can likely order them for you to. I spoke with a local B&N manager, and he was able to look up some stock in warehouses around the area. He could have had them shipped in for me. It's possible that other B&Ns around the country can get them from local warehouses as well.

and my run of good luck continues...the one I picked up at Best Buy last night is a brick. my guess knowing this store is that it has already been returned as such once since the battery was fully charged when I plugged it in after opening it. Maybe when I bring it back and they say they have to order a new one I'll have them grab more....would have been a good buy for $40 if it worked :angry2:

If they sat too long in a warehouse, they are bricked. Once the battery goes totally flat it wont accept a charge, I had two out of six like that.

Why not simply replace the battery then?

A replacement battery is like $5 and it can be replaced in minutes. If it were me, I would have just replaced the battery and moved on with life. But then again I am pretty much stocked up on Nook repair stuff because I have become the unofficial Nook/PractiScore technical support person for our USPSA section.

Just picked up 4 more from Best Buy today. Samsung rep working in store helped me find them and asked why I wanted them. Said I was rooting them to run a scoring app, she looked at me like I had three heads and whispered dont tell the Best Buy staff, I laughed. It was a humorous exchange.

Well, but you're back to the same old problem that if you have to perform dozens of eye crossing propeller head steps that only a tech of the highest nerdiness could understand, you've lost general acceptance of the platform.

Well, but you're back to the same old problem that if you have to perform dozens of eye crossing propeller head steps that only a tech of the highest nerdiness could understand, you've lost general acceptance of the platform.

All the more reason for clubs to stock up on the old Nook Simple Touch NOW while they are still available.

• 2 weeks later...

So, here we are once again with another Andy Hardy "musical in the barn" operation running into problems. What a surprise.

The Nooks are/were low cost and have easy to read screens in the sun and won't overhead in July and anything that replaces them is going to have to be as good or better. .

If USPSA wants to be serious about this they are going to have to step up to the plate and provide a usable product that can be had for a reasonable price that doesn't have to be hacked and that doesn't have to be purchased used off EBay or from clearance sale/bargain basement bins.