Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NST discontinued?

BostonBullit

Nooks and practiscore have a much more wide-spread acceptance and inroads into scoring USPSA matches than was ever enjoyed by stagescore and 3rd-4th hand garage-sale palms from the prior century, and there is no lack of new or like-new NST's at this time. I don't see USPSA getting into the actual hardware business, as in commissioning a vendor to create a dedicated scoring device for them. I seem to recall that Ken Nelson wrote somewhere (maybe here on BE) that he had looked down that avenue himself, without positive results from any approached parties.

• 3 months later...
Popped into one of the local Walmart Supercenters a few days ago, as usual went by electronics 'just because' and on the "close-outs table" find 4 NST's (BNVR300) and 2 NST-Glowlights (BNVR350). both 350's and three of the 300's were in the original shrinkwrap. Took the 3 unopened NST's ($30 ea), put them all to charge when I got home. All showed B&N welcome screen (no 'bricks'). So, if you're still in the market for NST's to run Practiscore, and are willing to gamble $30+-, check your Walmart.

short version: all 3 units now running Practiscore 1.2.18

long version: finished the install on the first unit, had an "oh sh**" moment when the PS splash screen said 1.2.7.

Went back and looked thru the rootnscoreit.com website. There are two pages that include "Download the Root'n-Score-It file (latest is located here)". On the main page (http://www.rootnscoreit.com/) the link does point to 1.2.18. On the 'Create microSD card/Windows' page (http://www.rootnscoreit.com/msdc_windows.html) the link still points to 1.2.7.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Having read the site previously, and being in a hurry, guess which page I started on...... yep, the one for creating the microSD install card....

ATTN: J.C. Wren, you might want to fix that link....

downloaded the correct file, re-imaged the card, started over again, success.

Is there going to come a time when an updated version of PS is going to require a newer version of the android operating system? I had heard from a club nearby in FL that they are looking to replace all of their iPod Touches since the next version of PS will require an newer version of ios or some such that their Touches does not run.

So far Google been doing a better job than Apple in order to support development environment for old versions of Android. Though some things don't work in old frameworks and at some point we may have to move on. I doubt it will be happening in a next year.

On the other hand, some clubs been running a year old PS, so you don't really have to update to the most recent app, though we can only provide limited support for those versions (pretty much limited to backward compatibility with new versions to some extent).