Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rough Indexing SDB Shellplate... Can't Solve it

Hopefully someone can assist with this...

So, I've been loading on a SDB for a while now, and not to toot my own horn, but I know the press like the back of my hand. I bought my first one used, and stripped it part for part , bolt for bolt, cleaned everything, replaced worn out parts, and upgraded everything to the latest version. I know the press and how it operates intimately.

I can usually diagnose and correct any problem that arises.

However, I just bought another used SDB, and went through my normal stripping, cleaning , upgrading routine, and everything turned out perfect... Except, the shell plate indexes very rough. The indexing paw does not cam smoothly. Also, at the end of the rotation, the paw falls beneath the shellplate and causes a small "snap".

I have tried 3 different (new) indexing paws, different shell plates, different cam bolts, you name it, I've tried it, but cannot correct the issue. It is almost as if the dimensions between the index paw and bolt that cams it are incorrect, causing the cam motion the be herky jerky.

If anyone has any thoughts, or has encountered this before, please let me know.

The first video is the new press that indexes rough.

Second video is my other SDB that operates how it should.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does Dillon say? :cheers:

Well, I love Dillon's customer service, as we all know, they are great. However, they weren't much help on this problem. The person I talked to kept implying that I must have the indexing paw assembled incorrectly... Which is not the case.

Past that, they didn't have a suggestion.

I would replace and/or lube the bolt that holds down the shell plate....it may not be rotating smoothly due to a burr on the bolt....just a thought

Ive tried 3 different shellplates, and two different shellplate bolts. When rotated with my finger, all the setups were nice and smooth, exactly how they should be.

However, they were all jerky when rotated with the indexing paw.

That set screw is not present on this press. It is on my other SDB, but it does not contact the paw I'm any way.

When I brought this up to Dillon, I was informed that the set screw was a solution to a problem, but after implementing it, they found out something else was causing the problem. They informed me it was not needed.

At this point sending it in is your best option. It sounds like tolerance stacking somewhere. Please phone us or email us your customer number and address info so we can create a return authorization for you.

Remove the powder measure, spent primer chute/cup, brass locator buttons, and for shipping purposes it is okay to detach the primer feed. Please include the primer feed with it. Our current in-house turnaround time is about 3 weeks right now.

Oops! Maybe it's time for a trip back to Dillon.

I was really trying to avoid that. I'm loading 2 different calibers every week on one press (.40 me, 38SC girlfriend) and its getting old. I'm doubting their turn around time is swift right now.

Plus, there is nothing they can do there that I can't do, short of replacing parts at will.

I have one more trick up my sleeve to try and locate what's defective. Switching the complete ram assemblies with the press that I know works. Its a pain in my ass, but should tell me something.

Measure the diameter of the smooth shank on the camming bolt in the rear of the frame. We have these in different diameters to advance/retard indexing.

This could very well be the problem. As I mentioned earlier, I feel like the paw is "over indexing", so a smaller diameter cam bolt could possibly be the remedy.

I actually tried the bolt out of my other press early on in the process, thinking ... Maybe the bolt is slightly bent? And maybe it's advancing the paw out of time? But it did not change the issue.

I will measure the bolt tonight and report back.

Thanks for the help Dillon.

• 9 months later...

I've noticed this in mine... sometimes it is bad enough to throw a few flakes of powder out of the case.

+1 on an older thread, curious what the resolution was? I've been spraying One Shot on the base of the index pawl and it seems to clear it up. Also might be something in the primer slide feed. Only happens consistently when there's a case in each station. Lots of variables and intermittent issue...

If you raise the ram half way up- turn the shell plate with your finger. Is it silky smooth as it turns and can you feel the detent ball? If it is take the shell plate off and operate the press while watching the pawl. Look at the bottom of the shell plate to see if there are scuff marks from anything but the pawl. Put an index finger on the pawl while moving the ram up slowly while you feel for smoothness or something jerking. These presses are pretty simple, just eliminate the possiblites while you think about how they work.