Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super comp bullets help please

jcl

I am gettin ready to start reloading 38 super comp and I am confused about which bullets I can use. I some what understand about the PF for the gun, which is a caspian 38 super comp with a 3 port comp. What I am having trouble with is the FPS for the bullet. What is the minimum FSP I can shoot. For example I have some Berrys 115gn RNDS will the work or not.

Thanks in advance

Jim

Surprisingly these berrys are coated on the bottom also, but I will stay away from them. EEH any idea where the FSP needs to be. I am asuming that the MG meets the FSP if so what grain's can I use.

Thanks

Based on the weight of the bullet, and what power factor you want to load, that will dictate the muzzle velocity you will need to achieve. Power_Factor = (Muzzle_Velocity X Bullet_Weight)/1000.

I've heard bad things about Berry's at Major PF (>165). Never tried them personally. Been hearing good things about BBI and Bayou Bullets though.

Surprisingly these berrys are coated on the bottom also, but I will stay away from them. EEH any idea where the FSP needs to be. I am asuming that the MG meets the FSP if so what grain's can I use.

Thanks

People use different bullets,most do shoot FMJ HP,

Some like 124

Some 125

I used 121 Zero's. All will run around 170 power factor

you will go back and forth on what powder/bullet combo you like best... basics of open are lots of slow burning powder and light bullet, however, aet barrels, as I understand are most accurate with 124gr bullets. powders are so advanced now. 10+ grns of 3n38 and a 124 seem to be they way to go, from what I hear. I shoot 9major not sc..

There's more to it than having someone tell you this or that velocity. You need to find the velocity that makes YOUR gun shoot the flattest. That's one of the major pluses of a comp. Some folks shoot a 174-180 power factor that makes the gun softer shooting with the absolute minimum muzzle rise. Every gun is different.

Generally, a 38 SC gun with no "hill" (poppel) holes in the barrel like's 115 grain bullets. Guns with comps and poppel (hill) holes in the barrel like 124's or 125 grain bullets. This, of course, is not written in stone.

It takes much experimentation to find what an open gun runs best on.

Pat

Edited by Pat Miles

A friend of mine has been shooting Berrys "TP" (Thick Plate) with no issue in his .38 Super Race gun,...I believe these are the only ones in their line up that are capable of handling the speed.

Edited by Ofishl1

Thanks everybody for all of the great info. The guy I got this gun from was using imr4756 which is being discontinued and MG124 bullet. So now I am trying to develop a load for me. What I am trying to understand beside's the FPS is when I read all of these articles they mention 38 super auto, 38 super, 38 super+p and 38 super comp. that these all the same cartridge correct???

Yes, the 38 super auto, 38 super, 38 super+p and 38 super comp are the same cartridge (more-or-less).

38 super auto, 38 super, 38 super+p are all the exact same thing. The proper Technical term for all of these is 38 Super Automatic +P. That is what SAAMI recognizes. (The "other" cartridge is the 38 Automatic which has a much lower pressure limit.)

http://38super.net/Pages/History.html

38 Super Comp is a rimless version of the 38 Super Automatic +P. The only thing different is that the rim on the Super Comp is slightly smaller than the rim on the 38 Super Automatic +P (which has what is called a semi-rim).

http://38super.net/Pages/Brass.html

jcl,

I strongly urge you to a lot more research before starting to load for your open gun. I may be wrong but it sounds like you may quickly get yourself in trouble. You need a pretty firm grasp of the principles involved in loading your chosen round. To me it doesn't sound like you are there yet. It's one thing to load some 9mm minor ammo but it's another thing all together to load up some 1500 fps 38SC rounds.

Be careful