Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which choke do I use?

Mturnbull333

I bought my daughter a new Benelli M2 for 3 gun this year, we have only shot it with the IC choke in it which gives it a very large pattern at 25' or so and slugs are 1 1/2 feet high at 100 yards, I am very inexperienced with chokes and the right ones to use, any help would be greatly appreciated. A few side notes, 21'' barrel, full power slugs and 1 1/2 oz and 71/2 shot.

Also, I reccomend only shooting slugs through and improved cylinder or cylinder choke. If you shoot slugs through tighter constrictions than an improved cylinder you can run the risk of ripping the choke right out of the end of your barrel. Are you shooting winchester super x or what slugs ard you shooting? Just for less fatigue and more enjoyment for your daughter you might look into some reduced recoil slugs. Try several brands and find the ones that hit the closest to poa.

As far as chokes are concerned its a matter of know what you patterns are with different chokes and know what it will take to knock down steel at different ranges.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sorry...but that is a "wives tale" Foster and Breneke style slugs can be shot safely through chokes as tight as full with no gun issues.

Now that said, if you are running "thinwall" chokes (not normally found in a factory shotgun) you may eventually open up the

choke with slugs and even with shot, over time. Unless the choke install was botched, you'll not pull the choke loose from the barrel.

If you shoot slugs through tighter constrictions than an improved cylinder you can run the risk of ripping the choke right out of the end of your barrel.

Really?? In today's litigious society wouldn't the slug manufacturers print this warning on the box in big letters? A loose choke would be more likely the culprit if this were to occur and it would happen with any load not just slugs. A less restrictive choke is desired because it usually groups better. Edited by mpeltier

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with "ripping the choke right out of the gun". I've been playing shotgun now for just a little while and durring that time found that in general a modified choke throws forester type slugs about the best, and it doesn't do too bad with the Breneke type solids either. My short barreled M1 has well over 30 cases of full powered Federal and Remington slugs and countless low recoil slugs. As long as your choke is screwed in tight it won't rip out of the gun!

Edited by kurtm

When it comes to chokes and slugs I err on the side of caution and with all the different slugs on the market I try to find something that shoots well out of an IC. I also have never seen a dedicated smooth bore slug barrel in anything other than IC.

Well I've seen a peanut stand, I seen a rubber band, I seen a needle wink it's eye, but I ain't seen anything till I see a choke fly.....unless it wasn't screwed in tight!

I have run a light modified in my competition M1 since 1996 and the choke is still in the gun after ??? Thousands and I do mean thousands of slugs have been down the barrel. Err away, but don't try and pass off this urban legend as fact ;)

Went out and put a 100 rds through it tonight with the modified choke, seemed to run the shot a little better, only put a few slugs through it but performed ok out to 50yds on a 10'' inch plate, will try some different slugs to see how they run out to 100yds later this week.