Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying a new 1050 setup...

Hey gang, I am going to buy a new 1050 setup for my shop. I have an idea of what I need but, maybe I am forgetting something... I am looking for your thoughts and recommendations.

Here is what I have ready to go and will not need:

9mm Dies

9mm conversion kit

45 Dies

45 conversion kit

38/357 dies

38 conversion kit

40 dies

All 4 casefeeder plates

2 1050 tool heads

1 Powder drop

Large Primer System

Extra Parts kit for 1050

Rapid Trim 1200

I am going to order the press in 223 carbide... what else do you guys recommend buying? Should I get the large CV media tumbler... I need one? Thoughts on bulletfeeder... is it needed? Just looking for thoughts here!

Bulllet feeder great for high volume reloading, but you loose powder check station.

Pistol lube-Hornady one shot

Rifle lube- Dillon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I run a Mr Bullet and powder check on my 1050. No issues here.

Good stuff... I can wait to post some pics if my new shop... I'll probably start a new thread but, that's no big deal. I'll also become a site vendor for brass, as well as a bunch of other stuff... Long time in the making... We still may be 6 months or so out before we are fully functional, but, the press is what's next:)

I Agee that the bullet feeder is priority to load a lot. It takes a lot of adjustment to begin, but when setup works great. I cannot get the Dillon primer 100 to work for me. 2-5% are upside down, so I load the tubes manually.

Just a thought here - unless you have a good supply of 45 ACP brass, you may think about picking up the small primer 45 brass. That way you won't have to switch out your priming system for just one caliber.

DWFAN, im assuming that you have a seat/crimp die? If so , hows it working for u and in what caliber?

9mm Hornady and Redding dies. They work just fine. I load jacketed, coated and xtreme plated.

I like the Hornady better.

Edited by DWFAN

DWFAN, im assuming that you have a seat/crimp die? If so , hows it working for u and in what caliber?

9mm Hornady and Redding dies. They work just fine. I load jacketed, coated and xtreme plated.

Interesting... I have used almost all the dies and the Dillon dies are at the top of my list by a long shot.., that's just me though:)

Interesting... I have used almost all the dies and the Dillon dies are at the top of my list by a long shot.., that's just me though:)

The Hornady combo seat and crimp die is good. My hornady size die is Junk. :)

Thanks DWFAN, i got my 1050 set up i 223 right now but when i get a 9mm conversion kit, ill probably use the seat/crimp die to keep the powder check just for pistol rounds. Rifle im not too worried about. Appreciate the reply

+1

I own a 650 and a 1050.

But I don't understand where people are getting the justification buy them these days particularly the 1050s with the extreme shortage of powders we are having nationwide.

Shooters who buys 1050 normally aren't new to reloading. And by trend, even before the Pres re-election, people stocked up components already.

I own a 650 and a 1050.

But I don't understand where people are getting the justification buy them these days particularly the 1050s with the extreme shortage of powders we are having nationwide.

You never wait till you run out of gas to fill the tank up. Around here most reloaders have been buying components way before they actually had a press. Unless you're not a buy in bulk person.

I advise people to get a 1050 if they are planning on loading one caliber. Add ons are bullet feeder and primer tube filler. I also advocate for Redding Competition seating die, and Lee Factory crimp die (yes I said Lee, but only because it full length sizes and crimps). If the full length sizing the Lee does is not wanted, than a Redding competition crimp die. No powder check obviously.

Why the above? Because if the people buying them are even remotely like me they will want to load as many as they can as fast as they can, once they learn how. I can load much much faster on my 1050 than my buddy with the 650 can with the same add ons.