Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Hunter guide-rod today

Today took the cake!

As you may know I don't care one bit about dealing with the ladies answering the phones at EAA. I'm sorry but they don't know the products and possibly even anything about guns. If they are the face to the customer for these things EAA should sit them down to some hands on training with take downs, etc... Possibly even give a test for them to pass.

So I called today and asked if they found the pin part number. She says "what is the pin part number"? I said that's what I called for yesterday. Next, she says "what's the serial number of your Hunter"? I tell her I don't have it here with me. I just need the cross-pin that holds the two pieces together of the Hunter guide rod. Her response was "the Hunter doesn't have a guide rod". I said you didn't just say that, did you? Her next response was "let me send you the exploded view so we can get on the same page". She sends me the standard size pistol drawing with a one piece guide rod. I responded that isn't my pistol (8.1 was the rod on that drawing). I then e-mail her my picture of the Hunter rod here. She replied with "you need 8.1". Nope, I need that part, but the two-piece which the Hunter is. I gave up!

I think I am going to remove all the black coating off and have it Tig welded at work. The pin will eventually just fail again shooting strong 10mm.

I really can't understand why they don't train the people answering the phones. They should at the very least know what firearms they carry and the differences. If they are going to field parts calls they should have a system set up for each model with parts, etc... If they can ship a person red followers when you specify black, anything can and will happen!

I have fixed it this evening. It just so happens I had a packet of JB Weld that was unopened hanging in the shop for years to assist me.

- Clean with brake cleaner

- Mix JB Weld an fill the cavity

- Insert inner rod

- Wipe off excess JB Weld squished out

- Insert perfect size pop rivet as cross pin

- Trim rivet

- Hammer rivet ends and file

It should be ready to go in the morning after some hours to harden.

• 1 year later...

Well my cross-pin broke last night at Steel Challenge. I had to finish the last stage with someone's XDm! :(

Trying to decide of I should make a force-fit pin or weld it.....

I have fixed it this evening. It just so happens I had a packet of JB Weld that was unopened hanging in the shop for years to assist me.
- Clean with brake cleaner
- Mix JB Weld an fill the cavity
- Insert inner rod
- Wipe off excess JB Weld squished out
- Insert perfect size pop rivet as cross pin
- Trim rivet
- Hammer rivet ends and file
It should be ready to go in the morning after some hours to harden.

When time permits, please post a picture or two. Would like to see your fix.