Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF-100 Is it worth it?

9usy3eze.jpg

Left is older, right is newer.

I had some inverted primers on the older one, but minor adjustment and there's not a whole lot of part to adjust and its 100% working now. Im in no rush getting the tube filled. I dont know why I ended up with 2. Thinking about it, it was from a trade.

I recommend it for reloaders that don't have much pre-reloading time.

I was one who laughed at the RF100, who needs that when I can load a tube in 20 seconds with my modified Lee primer seating tray and tumbler. Well I needed one. I hated sitting down and loading 20 tubes at a time. Now it's just dump and hit the button and while it runs, load ammo. When I'm out of primers it's been done for a bit, dump primers in tube, dump new primers ontop of RF100 hit start, and start back at the press again. Downtime is only slightly longer than when I had 20 preloaded tubes. With the bonus of no sitting around and loading 20 tubes. If a buddy comes over he'll still do that, but it saves us no time really.

I have run into issues lately though that baffle me. I use Federal primers and seldom have problems with the RF100, S&B small pistol though are proving to be a serious issuse. They hang up right at the drop into the tube, with a big line of them backed up waiting to go in. Once I fiddle with it, tittling the machine sideways while it's running, it clears the opening, but now I have to dump the tub and start again as I know that one went into upside down, as it does everytime. I swear it has something to do with the plastic guide/nipple, if only the one corner was cut back a little bit maybe? Because it's when they hit that, that it seems to cause the issue moments later.

Any ideas? I've tried slower, faster, looser and tighter plastic cover, you name it.

I find it quite handy. I picked mine up when they discontinued the vibra prime and people were buying them on eBay for $150. I would suggest 1 or buy a few vibra primes find the one that works right and returning the others.

• 2 weeks later...

I must be a cheap bugger. I just have 10 primer tubes loaded and ready. Just can't see paying hundreds of $$$ for a machine to do a very simple task. I guess being retired affords me the time to do these things.

I thought the exact same thing until I saw trgt's RF100. I am absolutely converted. If you spent the money on a case feeder, you should consider it. Now that I've tried it, I'd rather give up the bullet feeder than go back to pickup tubes.

I love my RF100 - I couldn't imagine loading the primer tubes manually. Of 4 people near by that reload: 2 started manually but now have RF100, myself and another started with RF100. All shoot USPSA or IDPA. FWIW, all four of us have case feeders, and three have bulletfeeders.

I'm one of the 'recovering' manual primer pickup tubers.

• 4 weeks later...

+1. Unfortunately the reviews I have read support your statement of the Vibra primes. Even those that finally did work have required some owner modifications.

I just read a 5 page thread started from a gentleman from Lake Havasu that had a explosion while handling/pulling the pin on his primer tube, Grant was part of his user ID and the thread was quit scary, (he suffered moderate injuries to his hands, the photos were no longer viewable and stated he had some temp hearing loss) but it came to end without much to confirm what happened, (this was in 2010) but it appeared to be focused on static electricity being the culprit. The folks at Dillon were being quoted over and over again as being heavily involved, although Dillon theirselves never posted anything that I recall.

My take away was that primer tubes should be cleaned from removal of residual chemicals occasionally using Qtips/cotton balls with rubbing alcohol, and using gloves, eye and ear protection during the handling of the tubes and primers.

My point of recalling the above incident is to remind everyone of their safety equipment.

Lastly, make certain that you have a fire extinguisher in close proximity of your bench.

Stay safe all and I am leaning towards a RF100 as well.

Just get a Franklin Vibra-prime. Its alot cheaper and I can fill a primer tube in 20 seconds.

Or get 20 vibra primes. You will need that many to find one that actually works.

You don't want a fire extinguisher by your bench,

you need one by the exit doorway to grab and decision make as you

rapidly exit the immediate fire area.

Stand and Fight or get the Fire department coming immediately.

PRIMER TUBES SHOULD BE CLEANED OF RESIDUAL PRIMER DUST FREQUENTLY.