Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Righty shooting a lefty

Has any right handed shooters ever tried a left handed shotgun? Seems like it would be an advantage to see the ejection port.

I think so. Being able to look right at ejection port without rolling the gun is a small advantage and I never notice the shells ejecting across .

Depends on the shotgun... I have an o/u with a cast right stock. If I try to shoulder left side, the sight picture is way too far off. Ive seen left handed autoloaders with cast stocks.

My auto is a right hand gun but I like to practice shooting from both shoulders (no right/left cast). Either way it shoots just fine from either hand. I use a more squared off stance which makes shooting either hand much more comfortable.

Remington made some left hand 1100s. The last one I saw for sale went for $1200! I'm a lefty and once had a left hand 870. I hunt with O/U but use an slp for 3 gun with a reversed safety. Is it an advantage? I really couldn't say as the only autoloaders I've ever shot were r side ejection.

I'm a righty with a lefty M2. I switched the butt pad to a righty. No issues with ejecting hills being a distraction. It's nice having the bolt handle right there. I also reversed the safety.

I'm a righty with a lefty M2. I switched the butt pad to a righty. No issues with ejecting hills being a distraction. It's nice having the bolt handle right there. I also reversed the safety.

Would you want to trade or sell the butt pad you removed?

• 3 weeks later...

I've always shot right handed rifles and shotguns even though I'm a lefty...and i can say the few times i ran a lefty AR i did not like that fact that i couldn't see the chamber when the bolt locked back. to me it was always nice to visually check without having to roll the gun over and as long as i was using an AMBI lower and controls...all seemed fine to me.

I shoot long guns lefty and pistols with my right. I have a right handed versamax and if I run the gun dry I can slide in a shell with out having to dismount the gun and clear a jam the same way. Just curious if any one had tried it.

Hello Friend,

I do the same; rifles/shotguns with the left and pistols with the right due to vision in right eye. Works pretty well for me. Uncledoc

When I bought my M2 I looked into getting a left handed model (I'm right handed). I thought it would be faster port loading and clearing jams on the left side since I was loading weak hand. But the bot release is still on the right side, which would have made it pointless (as well as slow).

Edited by cas

• 2 weeks later...

I'm left handed and shoot a right handed shotgun. Love being able to see the port in my field of vision and know if anything is wrong.

Given the advantages, I thought long and hard about going to a side charging RH ar15 upper as well (I current have a LH stag upper).