Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Classifiers

KermitShooter

I shoot Limited and always take full magazines (and extra's) to the line with me. Couple of reasons why.

1. I practice my draw using full magazines. I know exactly how it is supposed to feel with the weight of 21 rounds in the gun.

2. What if you have a misfire or jam? By the time you clear the jam I don't want to have to pick the round up off the ground and then put it back in the mag just to continue. Your other option is to just take the Mike.

3. I have missed a reload and actually dropped a magazine on the ground. Good thing I had another.

I am only a C shooter, so missing a reload isn't going to kill my score, but won't help me climb the ladder like A or M shooters.

I usually load 15 rounds for most classifiers. If there is a mandatory mag change I want enough rounds left in the magazine so that it drops free easily, and I like having the reload downloaded so it seats easily.

If mandatory reloads are involved, I usually drop a round or two just to make sure that the mags seat reliably. I also never reload TO a 170mm mag. When reloading, it's always to a 140mm mag. I just find them easier to manipulate under pressure.

don't over think things

Load and shoot just like any other stage

Excellent advise.

If you try to smoke the classifiers, is that how you would shoot every stage? If you make GM and can only shoot to a Master level on stages--What have you accomplished.

don't over think things

Load and shoot just like any other stage

Excellent advise.

If you try to smoke the classifiers, is that how you would shoot every stage? If you make GM and can only shoot to a Master level on stages--What have you accomplished.

I don't think it's about trying to smoke the classifiers. It's more about trying to make sure that you don't have any equipment issues that will ruin what would have been an otherwise good classifier. The idea of the classifier is to test YOU, not the equipment.

So you go into field courses with jamming equipment? Sorry it sounds smart but trying to make a point.

If you shoot stages with a different mental state you usually get bad results.

For example do you have a local blazing B A or M that wins stages n matches but never gets classed up cause after his classifier run he say. "I just can't shoot classifiers" of course with a M NS or whatever.

In a way he is right.

He decided it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BSeevers

So you go into field courses with jamming equipment? Sorry it sounds smart but trying to make a point.

I do NOT plan on jams on any stage, I always have a plan B though in case they do happen.

I guess I'm the only person that ever clipped the top round of a magazine and dislodged it during a reload. I'll go practice standing reloads some more.

If you shoot stages with a different mental state you usually get bad results.

For example do you have a local blazing B A or M that wins stages n matches but never gets classed up cause after his classifier run he say. "I just can't shoot classifiers" of course with a M NS or whatever.

In a way he is right.

He decided it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said, classifiers are supposed to test YOU, not the equipment.

Of course you try not to go into field courses with jamming equipment. You try not to go into ANY stage with jamming equipment, but tanking a field course isn't going to possibly lower your percentage. Screwing up a classifier might, or it might be bad enough that it won't count. You don't know until it's over, so why increase the odds of an equipment malfunction?

If I were shooting a course that required mandatory reloads, (classifier or standard,) I would do the same thing. If it's 8 shots, then a mandatory reload, why do I need 23 rounds in my mags? Better to have 20 and reduce the risk of a mag that doesn't seat because it's full.

BTW - If you're an A or M, then you obviously don't have a problem shooting classifiers. Most people are going to advance through the classifiers, not getting bumped at a major match. If you can't shoot the classifiers, you're not going to advance. It's more common to see someone who shoots A or M scores on classifiers, then can't hack it at the match than it is to see someone smoke the matches, but not be able to classify. That's why they call them "paper masters."

Edited by Parallax3D

If I were shooting a course that required mandatory reloads, (classifier or standard,) I would do the same thing. If it's 8 shots, then a mandatory reload, why do I need 23 rounds in my mags? Better to have 20 and reduce the risk of a mag that doesn't seat because it's full.

^^^^^ This, I agree with this.

My point was not to have the exact number of rounds in the magazine required for the stage. The gun will "Feel" close to normal on the draw if you have "most" of the normal round count in there, and in CASE anything bad happens you have the option of continuing and not standing there with your thumb up your ass.

Those that want to sand-bag have way less obvious ways to do it by just clipping a NS or a Delta/Mike.

You hit on my reason for this post, does a lighter gun, less bullets in the mag, shoot faster or slower, and does it change recoil for better or worse. When I was shooting steel over the weekend, I was able to swing the gun a little faster with a half full mag. Any thoughts?

Same as I do at the start of any smaller stage. 140 mm mag full and a round in the chamber. So I'm using the same loading sequence as every other time I shoot a stage. Helps make te classifier "just another stage".

Follow your routine

Best lesson I ever got was when a good friend said "A classifier is nothing more or less than a short stage. Treat it as such and quick mindf****ing yourself." Smart guy.

Edited by Neomet