Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My mags are slowing down the action of my slide...Trojan 9mm

Red Ryder

My mags are slowing down the action of my slide...Trojan 9mm. What can be done about it? I am using Tripp Cobra mags and the slide rubs and slows it down. I can slowly pull back the slide and get it to hang up on an empty mag, without pulling the slide back all the way to slide stop. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

You could likely relieve the mag catch a bit to allow the magazines to sit lower, though this poses some risk of changing the feed reliability.

You could also relieve the magazines themselves, but that means only those magazines would be the ones to use. Any new/different magazines would likely hang-up. You could modify the mag catch slot or, perhaps, the feed lips, if that is where they are contacting the slide.

Relieving the mag catch would be the more universal solution. Perhaps get another mag catch in case relieving one changes things to worse problems.

Guy

The feed lips are rubbing. I have a $152 BulletWorks right sided mag catch installed and I am not going to grind on it. The gun has only 500 rounds down range so I will keep shooting it and hope it breaks in some more. If that doesn't work, I will try different mags or altering the mags one at a time. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Edited by Red Ryder

It is probably only the front of the lips that are dragging, you might file them a little bit at a time and see if that removes the problem.

If you do, hold the file in the same plane as the slide would be to the mag and do a little, then try in the gun.

I have a $152 BulletWorks right sided mag catch installed and I am not going to grind on it.

As I recall, Tripp mags are made to sit high.

Gunsmith's golden rule: whenever two parts hit, you grind on whichever one is cheaper. You can easily file the top edge of locking notch in the mag shell to get it to ride a shade lower.

Mark the top of the magazine with a sharpie then see where it rubs. While your at it remove the slide push up on an inserted magazine. Check the clearance between the ejector and the magazine if it hits with pressure on the bottom of the magazine it will break the ejector. STI's fix is the 38/40 ejector and a small amount needed to be removed from the bottom of the new ejector on my pistol.

Mine's over four years old now with thousands of rounds shot. I've tried several mags but prefer Wilson. Had to remove two coils from the magazine spring as there was to much pressure on the follower, slowing the slide.

I'd go with an Ed Brown extended magazine release and polish the area where the magazine seats. It may require some fitting be care full with a dremel better to use small files and sandpaper.

A small square file can be used to fit the slot in your magazines, a small burr can cause problems

I have a $152 BulletWorks right sided mag catch installed and I am not going to grind on it.

I would install the factory mag catch and see if they still hit. If not, then the problem is the BulletWorks mag catch, and that is what I would modify to fix the problem.

Mark the top of the magazine with a sharpie then see where it rubs. While your at it remove the slide push up on an inserted magazine. Check the clearance between the ejector and the magazine if it hits with pressure on the bottom of the magazine it will break the ejector. STI's fix is the 38/40 ejector and a small amount needed to be removed from the bottom of the new ejector on my pistol.

Now that you mention it: I had to take some metal off the underside of my ejector in my 9mm Trojan back when it was new because the corner of the mag bumped into it.

I have figured out that it is the slide stop pin causing my slide to hang up when I rack the slide and slowly release it. It catches slightly on the small takedown notch probably because I have a 9 lb recoil spring installed. It causes no problems while shooting, I just noticed the hang up when slowly releasing the slide and it appeared to be a mag issue but it is clearly not. I took the gun to a smith who figured it out in 20 seconds. Sometimes it just takes a fresh set of eyes!

Edited by Red Ryder

A 9 lb recoil spring doesn't seem to be something that would cause this problem so bad, as the stock recoil spring is a 10 lb. You mentioned shooting only 500 rds thru gun. It sounds more like the gun still hasn't been broken in enough, and the rails on the frame and slide are still a little rough. Do some rapid firing to help heat up the frame, and it'll break in sooner and better. And be sure to oil the gun well during the break in period.

A 9 lb recoil spring doesn't seem to be something that would cause this problem so bad, as the stock recoil spring is a 10 lb.

Mine came with a 12.

When was it purchased? I asked STI this question a week ago, and they told me its 10lbs.

Robert, The stock spring is a 10LB.

STI'S NEW HOURS OF OPERATION ARE: MONDAY-THURSDAY 6:30-4:30 CST

Richard Ringwood Employee Owner | Warranty 512.819.0656 | Fax: 512.819.0465

CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE: This email and any attachments are only for use by the

My mags are slowing down the action of my slide...Trojan 9mm. What can be done about it? I am using Tripp Cobra mags and the slide rubs and slows it down. I can slowly pull back the slide and get it to hang up on an empty mag, without pulling the slide back all the way to slide stop. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

When I was trying to figure out what mags to purchase for my 9mm Trojan I had that same issue with Wilson Elite mags that I had on loan from a friend. With Metalform / Dawson mags I did not have any issues what so ever so that is what I run, no other needed alterations.

A 9 lb recoil spring doesn't seem to be something that would cause this problem so bad, as the stock recoil spring is a 10 lb.

Mine came with a 12.

When was it purchased? I asked STI this question a week ago, and they told me its 10lbs.

Robert, The stock spring is a 10LB.

STI'S NEW HOURS OF OPERATION ARE: MONDAY-THURSDAY 6:30-4:30 CST

Richard Ringwood Employee Owner | Warranty 512.819.0656 | Fax: 512.819.0465

CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE: This email and any attachments are only for use by the

I too emailed STI and asked them what the spring weight was on my new Trojan 9mm. I got 2 replies from 2 different people. I asked that one guy talk to the other guy and get back with me. The final verdict was a 12lb recoil spring despite what they say on their website. Provide me an email address and I can forward the conversations.

Edited by Red Ryder

From Houston Baker STI

"We are running the 12 lb recoil spring in the 9mm now"....

It only makes sense. The 12lb recoil spring didn't work at all. The 10 lb one worked most of the time, and the 9 lb one works.