Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deltapoint part deux!

Akkid17

Well, now that it's official that there will be an upgraded version of the deltapoint that pretty much fixes all the inconveniences of the original model I now have my mind made up for my next open gun optic. Just need to find a worthwhile mount for it. Only one I've seen anything about is the Arredondo. Is there anything else going for the deltapoint or just a bunch of adapters for c-more mounts?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if the new DeltaPoint2 uses the same mounts/footprint as the original? I am going to machine in a low profile mounting pattern (including pins) into a slide for the original DeltaPoint and would like to know if I should wait and get a DP2 before doing it.

I have been quite pleased with my original Deltapoint, but look forward to upgrading as soon as the duce hits the streets. A guy should always have a backup, right?

I use the Carver Competition mount, on my XDm. Just moved the Deltapoint rearward enough to miss the original holes, drilled and tapped. I purchased one of those EASY buttons, for Staples . . . great investment ;)

I have been using the Deltapoint for a few years. The good changes are the screw types for the adjustments. The old tiny torx screws were fragile. I have always used a good quality torx driver so I have not damaged a screw. The one included with the dot is not very good.

Also, there were some minor reflection issues with their optic coating. I would have to see if it really is any better. The bad change is the "button". Any sort of moving part on a slide ride dot is just adding a point of failure.

I am indifferent on the battery cover since I never saw any zero shift removing the sight to change batteries. Just some added parts to lose or just another point of failure perhaps. I have used their cross-slot mount and Arredondo's.

The change that they could of made but did not is to have the illumination sensor "facing" forward and not up! I have had the sight dim due to an overhead environment while engaging targets outside in a high contrast situation. They really need to sense the light in the direction that you are shooting!

I am not sure if the DP2 is that much of an improvement.

Edited by ChuckS

I believe he stated in the vid that it is on the front of the the unit but it has a dimmer switch which I really like also the on off switch is a great addition. Nice to not have to worry about it dying out of the blue because it's been jostled around more than you expected. All in all I'm pretty excited for the update I'm curious if there will be another dot option available or will it be the same two that there has been.

Also, there were some minor reflection issues with their optic coating. I would have to see if it really is any better. The bad change is the "button". Any sort of moving part on a slide ride dot is just adding a point of failure.

Mounting ANY electronic sighting device on top of a slide is asking for failure, IMHO.

Keen to hear feedback as to whether they also sorted out the problem with rain blurring out the diode (which, on the Gen I, is located at the bottom of a narrow slot that loves to collect water - had to carry canned air in my bag to blow the slot out as needed). Absolutely LOVE the sight, but, living in the Great NorthWET, this was a show-stopper for me...

Mounting ANY electronic sighting device on top of a slide is asking for failure, IMHO.

I have 2 open pistols with slide mounted Optics.

· The first one was done by SHPD (built around 1997-98) where the Optima weaver mount was trimmed down and screwed in to the slide retaining the locator points between the mount and optic to aid in not losing zero when changing batteries. I have changed batteries thousands of times and never lost Zero. This Optima was a replacement under warranty when the first lens became loose in the body, no issues since on this optic. However as the Fire Point described below the electronics is becoming tired I will be replacing it with a second Delta point sometime this year.

· The second one has the Arredondo double battery package that Arredondo milled the slide for this has locator points machined in to the slide. I have changed batteries thousands of times and never lost Zero on this set up either. This has had a Fire Point picked up on close out, no mechanical issues on this optic but the electronics were becoming tired; the dot is not as bright as it uses to be even with a double battery. I replaced it with a Delta point in 2010.

· I know of 5-6 other open pistols with slide mounted Optics built around the same time period of 1997 -2000 three with Dr Optics and the rest with Optima/ Jpoints that are all still working without any optics related issues.

So in 17 years and hundreds of thousands of rounds I “destroyed “ one sight and retired 2 for reticle brightness, that may just be a representation of the advances the manufactures are making in their electronics over the past 17 years. What exactly is your failure rate with slide mounted optics that your opinion is based on?

Out.

2011BLDR

Edited by 2011BLDR

· The first one was done by SHPD (built around 1997-98) where the Optima weaver mount was trimmed down and screwed in to the slide retaining the locator points between the mount and optic to aid in not losing zero when changing batteries. I have changed batteries thousands of times and never lost Zero. This Optima was a replacement under warranty when the first lens became loose in the body, no issues since on this optic. However as the Fire Point described below the electronics is becoming tired I will be replacing it with a second Delta point sometime this year.

· The second one has the Arredondo double battery package that Arredondo milled the slide for this has locator points machined in to the slide. I have changed batteries thousands of times and never lost Zero on this set up either. This has had a Fire Point picked up on close out, no mechanical issues on this optic but the electronics were becoming tired; the dot is not as bright as it uses to be even with a double battery. I replaced it with a Delta point in 2010.

· I know of 5-6 other open pistols with slide mounted Optics built around the same time period of 1997 -2000 three with Dr Optics and the rest with Optima/ Jpoints that are all still working without any optics related issues.

So in 17 years and hundreds of thousands of rounds I “destroyed “ one sight and retired 2 for reticle brightness, that may just be a representation of the advances the manufactures are making in their electronics over the past 17 years. What exactly is your failure rate with slide mounted optics that your opinion is based on?

Out.

2011BLDR

Whoa, I do not have near the experience you have! Nor have I ever used a Dr. or Optima/Jpoints. I withdraw my opinion :bow:

My only experience is with Burris Fastfire's, I went through 4 of those in one year.

Out.

2011BLDR

Whoa, I do not have near the experience you have! Nor have I ever used a Dr. or Optima/Jpoints. I withdraw my opinion :bow:

My only experience is with Burris Fastfire's, I went through 4 of those in one year.

Good to know of the issues with Burris, keep in mind this class of optics saw 7 years of intensive development in order to satisfy a SOCOM requirement for a MRDS’s, the Insight/L3 and Trijicon RMR both meet Mil standards for combat optics in:

· Drop Test

· Battery life

· Salt Spray

· Diveability to 66 Feet

Leupold was awarded a SOCOM contract for a optics package that included a MRD for SOCOM last year, I see the same features needed to pass Mil Standards in the Delta Point II as in the Insight/L3 and Trijicon MRD's.

Out.

2011BLDR

Edited by 2011BLDR

The Cmore website shows a adapter plate for the STS sight to Jpoint mount.

http://www.cmore.com/sts.html

look in the middle of the page under "Mounting"

Arredondo has one also

http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/category.cfm?cid=1002,2029&PID=hj11h2926cqdmj&GID=

You will have to ask C-More if the RTS without the Pic mount is the same as STS. I would hope so, but you gotta ask!

Later,

Chuck

Been through a couple of slide mounted Fast Fires versions II and III, had problems shearing off the small screws on the sides and cracked the lens on another. I did like the FF3's multi-mode button (on/off, auto and three fixed levels of brightness) and top access battery too bad it wasn't a little more robust. I was glad to hear the DP2 was going to this type of configuration, I know a few people that have been shooting a slide mounted DeltaPoint for a few years with out any problems. I am looking forward to giving the DP2 a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been shooting a Docter Sight, bullet proofed by Grams Engineering, mounted directly on the slide of my open gun for about 12,000 rounds, and, so far, it has not given me any problems at all.

I've had other Grams Engineering Docter sights crap out with the bullet proof enhancement, but so far this last one has survived. For me it is the best

sighting system for the open gun.

I hope that the sight manufacturers can continue to make them stronger until they are completely reliable.

Unfortunately, they are not interested in the USPSA/IPSC market because it is very small.

A friend tried a Delta Point on his open gun and it lasted a day.

The battery on my Docter lasts over a year. These sights do not need an on/off switch. A switch is something else that is prone to break.