Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

617 Holster for Steel Challenge and ICORE

Dr.J

Good Morning - I want to begin competing in steel challenge and ICORE, do not have a centerfire revolver at this time, but do have a 6-shot 6" model 617. I'm looking for comments/suggestions about the practicality of shooting steel and ICORE with the 617 (getting used to the draw, courses of fire, etc.) Who makes and what type of holster (does it have to meet certain requirements for each game?) would you recommend? I plan on purchasing a 929 when they become available, but would like to practice with the .22 in the meantime. Thanks,
Dr.J

Having a long barreled gun and waiting on another might have you look at some type of race holster, that doesn't use a little plug into the muzzle (because it's bigger than .22)

I am using a DAA race master for N frames, but it holds my K and L frames good enough for practice. They may even make an insert for the smaller frames.

I too use a race master. There it's an insert available for a 686, which is an L frame. I do not know how well it fits the 617 which is a K frame. It is true that my N frame insert can hold a smaller gun, it's a bit loose for anything but practice.

Safariland makes a holster called the 002 cup challenge. It has a split front and works with about any Smith and Wesson.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

My son used a Safariland Cup Challenge 002 with a 617 for about a year shooting steel before he moved to a 627 out of the same holster. He had optics on both revolvers and it worked great. I have used my 002 for about 15 years with L and N frame guns and had no problems.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116177

You might call Warren and see if the 617 will fit in his set up. I have a CR Speed rig and I made a .22 cal muzzle plug from one of the extras they provided. I just put it in a drill press and used sand paper to reduce the diameter. The gun will not fall out of the Protocol design set up even if bumped hard.

Edited by toothguy

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116177

You might call Warren and see if the 617 will fit in his set up. I have a CR Speed rig and I made a .22 cal muzzle plug from one of the extras they provided. I just put it in a drill press and used sand paper to reduce the diameter. The gun will not fall out of the Protocol design set up even if bumped hard.

Warren made mine fit 617. It is awesome and I use the same holster with K,L, and N frames with barrels from 4 to 7 inches.

Warren is a stand up guy