Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is this Win3Gun birdshot and what's it do?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900125383/winchester-win3gun-target-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-1-oz-7-1-2-shot

I couldn't tell by digging around. It doesn't appear particularly suited to the matches I've been -- 1-1/8 oz helps drop plates from longer distances, and it doesn't have to be going particularly fast. Did they just shove something in the wad and slap a SKU on it, or is there some analysis I'm missing?

The slugs and handgun ammo at least seem to have some bells and whistles, but why should anyone buy this instead of the bulk pack du jour?

I figured I'd at least give it a fair read before letting the cynical part of my brain jump to "they want my money."

They had slugs? That and 147 gr low PF 9mm would be welcome. Seems like the 223 should weigh more.

Sorry, in the OP I meant buckshot. I'm still not good at shotgunning.

The 9mm isn't even low PF. It's 140PF, so they're shoving 147s at or above 950 fps. Seems like plenty of manufacturers make a 147 gr <130PF loading for USPSA purposes already, and not every 3-gun body requires you to even make minor. The .40 they make is damned near IPSC major (171 pf if it makes the 950 fps it says), which doesn't help.

I can only conclude that they're taking something like the Super X lead-free stuff and reboxing it because no one wants the hippie ammo unless they have to.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems all marketing (and with little research IMHO) non of the offerings are to my liking in price point or specifications.

This. Only glanced at the #7.5 birdshot - would prefer 1 1/8oz load and > 1200FPS.

Guessing it's just a new box for the same old crap.. ?

• 2 weeks later...