Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel plates and Choke size

Headworked

Went to a match over weekend, and engaged some small steel that I had not come across at any other matches that I have shot in the past. I think they were Spectre targets, but could not find them on their web page. They were about 3 3/4" diameter, 1/2" thick, and were tipped back about 35-40 degrees, with a sliver trimmed off lower edge, and a shelf welded above the trimmed area to create a 'lip', that gripped the "T" stand like a falcon....

On the long jungle walk stage, there were 8 of these I think, and I did not realize that they were difficult to unseat, and knock off the stand. I walked past several, put sight on them, pulled trigger, saw a good pattern rock them, and kept going to finish the stage. After I was done, the RO said '2 Mikes', and I said, "Where???"... he said 'you engaged them, got a good sight picture, but most of your shot was around them, and not massed on the plate'... He said I used the wrong choke... I had an IC in the gun, and it has worked for every flat, upright, round, square, etc. plate I have ever shot at in the past... i guess its time to go to work a bit, and do some swapping of chokes, and pattern out to 18-20 yards, and see what it takes to get 80% hit on these little bastards...

I was shooting an M1, with a 22" barrel, IC choke, with Noble Sport Trap Gold #7 1/2 2 3/4 drams...

Amc,

It had an 1/8" lip that locked the lil bastard on the stand, and it took a heck of pattern to rattle it off... with the face plate tipped way back at the top, it deflected the shot, and wouldnt always come tumbling down. IM should have done it for sure...

I shot a Carlson's LM choke with 1-1/8 oz, 1150 fps, #8 Rio's through my 24" 1301 Comp and had no issues on that stage. I lent Eckhardt my choke for his 21" 1301 and he had no issues either. Hell, he was shooting 1 oz, 1180 fps, #8 x-lite AA's through his.

Evidently it was all pattern on those little buggers...

Its not just target size its also target distance. I started out shooting a 590 with a cylinder bore and ran several matches with no problems until at a local match they set a texas star a few feet too far away. I could see the pattern hit centered on the plate and watch it just wiggle but not fall, I think I went through 8 extra rounds before I quit and still didn't get all the plates off. I had shot this stare several time in the past with no issues but adding just a few feet to the distance made all the difference.

Those werent Spectre plates, I asked Daniel.

That stage ate my lunch. With an IC in my 1301 it took 3-4 hits to knock them down. I knew that wasn't enough choke with the loads I was shooting, but my LM and IM were on my work bench at home.

Went to a match over weekend, and engaged some small steel that I had not come across at any other matches that I have shot in the past. I think they were Spectre targets, but could not find them on their web page. They were about 3 3/4" diameter, 1/2" thick, and were tipped back about 35-40 degrees, with a sliver trimmed off lower edge, and a shelf welded above the trimmed area to create a 'lip', that gripped the "T" stand like a falcon....

On the long jungle walk stage, there were 8 of these I think, and I did not realize that they were difficult to unseat, and knock off the stand. I walked past several, put sight on them, pulled trigger, saw a good pattern rock them, and kept going to finish the stage. After I was done, the RO said '2 Mikes', and I said, "Where???"... he said 'you engaged them, got a good sight picture, but most of your shot was around them, and not massed on the plate'... He said I used the wrong choke... I had an IC in the gun, and it has worked for every flat, upright, round, square, etc. plate I have ever shot at in the past... i guess its time to go to work a bit, and do some swapping of chokes, and pattern out to 18-20 yards, and see what it takes to get 80% hit on these little bastards...

I was shooting an M1, with a 22" barrel, IC choke, with Noble Sport Trap Gold #7 1/2 2 3/4 drams...

wasnt the choke tho i use lt mod for most shell was too lite.

2 shells is all i carry

3-1/8 #8's for clay and lite stuff

31/4 dr 1oz of 7's for all else

never saw a late it wouldnt take down

we has similar at rock castle 2 yrs ago saw a guy nail it with some kind of lite load wiggled but no go

my stuff blew it back about 1 foot. it was a small thing like u describe.

all started spinning chokes. my squad mooched a ton of them from me. after they saw the 1st 2 guys wiggle them

i never changed.

sledom the choke almost always the shot.

jjw

You guys had a chance to walk the stage beforehand right? You had a chance to feel how much force it was going to take to dump the targets. Load and choke accordingly. It's just part of the game. To me IC is pretty loose unless the targets are all under 18 or so yards. Sounds like throwing in a LM or M choke would have solved the issue. IDK......JMHO as I wasn't there.

Choke and load play a factor but so does centering the pattern where it needs to go. Basically the inner ring of the pattern is tighter than the outer ring. If the hits are in the outer ring it's not near as dense a pattern

You guys had a chance to walk the stage beforehand right? You had a chance to feel how much force it was going to take to dump the targets. Load and choke accordingly. It's just part of the game. To me IC is pretty loose unless the targets are all under 18 or so yards. Sounds like throwing in a LM or M choke would have solved Chuck, trey here... Wanted to let you know before I put it on the market, I'm selling my '13 20 yr old PVWthe issue. IDK......JMHO as I wasn't there.

Well, this stage fell right after our rushed lunch break, and there was a 6 min cart ride from previous stage to this one... When my partner and I arrived, the 5 min walk thru was finishing up, and the first guy up was ready to go... I was second... I walked it one time, but did not 'study' or walk up on the tiny lock-on style targets, so I didn't consider a choke change... In the end, I was unprepared when my turn came, and struggled on the stage... Lessons learned...

I feel like my loads are decent, and not super light... 1 1/8 oz 3 dram #7 1/2 noble sport sporting clays

Those targets sound ridiculous! This sport needs a standard target size so newbs can shoot their cylinder bore 870 without getting ten Unhit target penalties.

It wasn't the size of the target that made it so tough... It was fact that they were tipped back 45degrees with a nice ledge on front locking them to the stand...

A more powerful load would definately been a benefit...