Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 firing pin blockage

My nearly new Springfield loaded 9mm 1911 is having problems. Material is being shaved from the back of the primer and its blocking the firing pin. It's consistent after 6-7 rds or so. Factory and mild hand loaded ammo. You can't see firing pin indentation on back of primers, it's filled with material. Help please.

Edited by dauntedfuture

An extended length firing pin may help with the issue you're having but if you're using factory loads or minor pf hand loads, there might be other issues causing that primer "wipe".

On a related note, confirm the opening of your firing pin hole. Springfield firing pin hole size might be different compared to other manufacturers.

Do the cases appear to have scratches on the case head and is there sort of a trough going outward from the firing pin strike mark??

That light a mainspring is probably allowing for early unlocking which would wipe the case head across the firing pin hole.

As pointed out above, put the stock mainspring back in and give it a try. Then post what happened.

Thanks for all the help. I called and talked with springfield and i sent the gun back to them. I have not experienced anything like this in my other 9mm,.40, .45 or .38 super 1911/2011 guns in the past. I wonder if they might have drilled a .45 firing pin hole and not the propper 9/38 super for the firing pin.