Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwells

I'm not sure I understand the point of the magwell. I think it's to aid in reloads, blocking the edges of the gun so it won't catch. I've seen aluminum ones and brass ones that seem to add weight as well. Am I right in my understanding?

It would slightly change the balance of the gun but not significantly. I would rather have weight added in other areas of the gun if you were looking to change the way the gun feels in recoil.

Edited by alma

I'm just trying to keep the nose down a bit. I have pretty good control, I just want a little more. I've been looking at the stainless steel guide rods at Glockmeister, but I'm not sure what spring to get, or if I should get the one that I can change the spring

I changed the magwell on my 2011 open gun from a standard Dawson Ice to their heavy, big hand Ice. At the same time I changed from a flat, plastic main spring housing to a stainless "wedge" version. The added weight improved the feel of the gun in my opinion. I didn't want to make the gun more nose heavy and slow down my transitions, but the weight did help tame the dot a little bit more.

Because it's going to be my carry gun for now, I don't want to make too many changes that would effect the reliability, so I think I'm going to shoot production until I get a gun for carry only. If I do tungsten, it would probably push me over the weight limit

I think I've decided to forego the magwell until I get a dedicated competition gun. I am pretty good at managing the recoil as it is, just looking to make it even less. I ordered the stainless guide rod with a standard 17# spring today as well as a plastic grip plug from Glockmeister today. Hopefully that will help with recoil and reloads

I'll have to see what the grip plug does. I really wanted it to block the hole that goes up into the trigger mechanism. I'll have to check with someone at the next competition and see if they let me use it

Grip plugs are legal to use for IDPA and USPSA now

Had to go check the new rules. Nope, still not legal in Production, not if it extends enough to help the reload. See Appendix D4, 22.3

Seattle Slug is not legal but an internal plug which does not extend past the bottom of the grip would be legal.

"22.3 External plugs (such as Remains in effect – external plugs which alter the
Seattle Slug) grip profile or extend past the bottom of the grip are
PROHIBITED."

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-ruling-details.php?indx=34

Plastic Plug for Glock's in Production division
Created:
4/28/08
Updated:
1/05/13
Effective:
0/00/00
Rule Number:
Appendix D4
Applies to:
Pistol
Ruling Authority:
John Amidon
Archived

Question:
Can I now insert the plastic plug in my Glock and will it be legal for Production division?
Answer:
The plastic plug that fits flush with the heel of the grip is allowed, like the Jentra plug. Plugs that extend below the heel like the Scherer polymer slug plug or other similar models are not allowed. Metal, brass or the Seattle Slug plugs are not allowed either.

Grip plugs are legal to use for IDPA and USPSA now

Had to go check the new rules. Nope, still not legal in Production, not if it extends enough to help the reload. See Appendix D4, 22.3
Not 100% true as the correct legal plug does indeed make reloads easier.