Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reality check on POA/POI with Dawson Precision sights on M&P 9mm

jaredr

finally upgraded the sights on my full size M&P 9mm, purchased Dawson Precision adjustable serrated rear and (as specified by Dawson) a corresponding .285" tall front sight. unfortunately, the sights hit 8" high at 20 yards (and that is with the rear adjusted down as far as it will go). This is tested from a seated rest position on sandbags, and had a couple of friends at the range verify - they saw the same issue (except for one guy who was hitting almost a foot tall - gather that was an issue with his sight picture rather than the sights themselves).

For reference, the previous factory sights were dead on at 10 yds and approx 3" high at 20 yds which i felt was very manageable. 8" high at 20 yds is just unworkable for me. to figure out what front

NB - this is not a gripe or complaint about dawson sights. i'm sure they'll sort this out and once way or another get me something that hits to POA. my question is this: i've visited dawson's website and done the math and it looks like I'll need a front sight that is approx .320" tall to get POI back to only 4" high at 20 yds. Whoa - that thing is going to look like a shark fin sticking up on the front of the slide :)

Question for the board: has anyone else seen any similar issues with their 5" M&P 9 hitting this high (8+ inches at 20 yds) or needing a front sight this tall (.320") when running a dawson adjustable rear?

I also thought they recommended a 305. I have one 305 and one 285. My 285 is also bottomed out like Bluemoon's.

I noticed that front sight being tall for about 30 minutes 3 years ago. I would try a couple of different loads before changing the sights unless you are in love with the 115's. I shoot 125ish lead and 147 lead. Both shoot close the same poa.

I also thought they recommended a 305. I have one 305 and one 285. My 285 is also bottomed out like Bluemoon's.

I noticed that front sight being tall for about 30 minutes 3 years ago. I would try a couple of different loads before changing the sights unless you are in love with the 115's. I shoot 125ish lead and 147 lead. Both shoot close the same poa.

unfortunately, i have about a bajillion 115gr projectiles so i really would like to get a good POA/POI with that bullet. what i'm hearing so far is .320 is not far off from what others are using. not sure if a .305 will get me where i need to be but at least reassuring to here that what I am seeing is not that far out of the ordinary. what disappoints me is i'd hoped i'd be able to use the dawson adjustable rear to play around a bit and see what it's like shooting with sights dead on at 20yds and perhaps 1-2" low @ 10 yds. looks like in order to do that I would need a genuinely freakishly tall front sight (about 0.350").

I have the .285 on both of my 5" Pro's and shooting 147's out of it the sights are not quite bottomed out. I was getting ready to put a set the Dawson Adjustables on one of my Full size guns and try it out...but now I might just try a set of 10-8 sights first.

I have the .285 on both of my 5" Pro's and shooting 147's out of it the sights are not quite bottomed out. I was getting ready to put a set the Dawson Adjustables on one of my Full size guns and try it out...but now I might just try a set of 10-8 sights first.

For adjustable sights, I have become hooked on the Williams Fire-sights. I need not just an FO front, but FO rears too, and these things are bright. Picture is under room light, but outside they're great.

A-Hatchling_9.jpg

Edited by awfaxis

and the verdict here is that I may just be mentally impaired. I was positive I'd bought the correct sights, which in this case is dawson's recommended .285" front sight that works with their M&P adjustable rear. accordingly, all of my math and corrective adjustments were based on this (faulty) notion that i was starting out with the correct equipment.

got dawson on the phone to get some assistance and the first thing they noticed is what I should have seen staring me in the face on my invoice - i somehow ordered a .190" tall front sight instead of the recommended .285". doh!

not sure how i messed that up (i actually placed the order with the dawson support guy walking me through since i couldn't figure out what i needed just by consulting their site). Anyway, they sorted it out and with the correct front sight (.285") I'm getting hits dead on at 14 yards with the rear sight a few clicks up from bottomed out. Only had time to check POA/POI at one distance (which happened to be 14 yards) at my last visit, will check out point of impact at 10, 20, 25 yards when i get more time back on the range.

/cue rosanne rosanna danna voice

never mind.