Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When nobody makes what you want...... (XDm 90deg mount)

openclassterror

I looked everywhere for a 90 degree C-more mount for the Springfield XDm series, and came up blank. I prefer not to run C-mores upright due to the height of the lens centerline, though I know not everybody feels the same. So, I wasted a little time on the Bridgeport, and this is what I came up with. What do ya think?

Pardon the dot shift in the last pic. It is hard to get a good index and hold the camera at the same time! :lol:

Tom

post-48876-0-40178700-1393882855_thumb.j

post-48876-0-83626300-1393882873_thumb.j

post-48876-0-41075900-1393882891_thumb.j

Edited by openclassterror

Thanks guys! We will have to see about production. Right now we are buried in work for the Stoeger M3000 shotgun parts. I just did this one over the weekend on the manual mill while I had the CNCs running. Looks like a good project for one of the machining centers if we can ever free up some machine time!

Tom

What I like about this compared to some others out there for "other" plastic pistols , is that by bridging under the frame instead of over the slide (like the others) you can actually get the lens closer to the slide. Excellent design. Hope you make it for more than just the the XD.

I tried to get one of the GS in the BE forum tent to come up with a similar design for a Glock, but was too busy with other projects. Glad to see someone pursuing this. :cheers:

I actually tried it on my M&P Pro today, and other than the slot spacing of the rail it works fine. The only model specific changes it would need is changing the clamp screw locations across the rail. I haven't tried it on a Glock yet, for once I don't have a single one in the shop! I will also be adding an attachment method for a *thumb rest [generic]* (thumb support), but didn't have time over the weekend. I am hoping that the somewhat modular design makes it easy to adapt to other railed pistols with a minimum of design changes.

I actually tried it on my M&P Pro today, and other than the slot spacing of the rail it works fine. The only model specific changes it would need is changing the clamp screw locations across the rail. I haven't tried it on a Glock yet, for once I don't have a single one in the shop! I will also be adding an attachment method for a *thumb rest [generic]* (thumb support), but didn't have time over the weekend. I am hoping that the somewhat modular design makes it easy to adapt to other railed pistols with a minimum of design changes.

is that a 5.25 xdm?

Yes it is the 5.25. The frame is identical to a 4.5, and I have switched my 4.5" .40cal top half onto this frame numerous times so I could shoot in other classes without having to buy or make all the lower half goodies again. I used to have a fastfire III on the slide of the 5.25 9mm, but couldn't stand watching the sight cycle with the slide. All the 4.5 and 5.25 frames are the same in every respect, 9mm or .40.

Just got word from the owner of a well-known company that saw my post- They tried something similar and it flexed too much without additional support from a frame pin. Bummer! I will try to get to the range in the next coupla days and do some bench testing for accuracy. I was already wondering a little about accuracy potential on this setup, since the slide-to frame clearance is WAY looser than a 1911 type pistol. More updates to follow! I will post up target pics if the paper doesn't dissolve in the rain. ;)

Tom

Edited by openclassterror

Just got word from the owner of a well-known company that saw my post- They tried something similar and it flexed too much without additional support from a frame pin. Bummer! I will try to get to the range in the next coupla days and do some bench testing for accuracy. I was already wondering a little about accuracy potential on this setup, since the slide-to frame clearance is WAY looser than a 1911 type pistol. More updates to follow! I will post up target pics if the paper doesn't dissolve in the rain. ;)

Tom

Yes, I think you will find there is too much flex in the plastic lower to hold zero.

As you know, the Carver mount attaches to the accessory rail as well, plus the bolt that replaces the trigger pin. Well, my bolt broke during a match (right at the end of the threads) and my shots immediately startred landing everywhere.

Not enough rounds down range for a durability test, but initial results were promising. This is a representative target from my test session. 5 shots at 10 yards, 2 hand supported position. Group measured 0.550 center to center on worst holes. Most 5 shot groups averaged about 0.6, with horizontal stringing as I would expect with the slide rail clearance. Vertical dispersion is only 1/4 inch. Good enough for 3gun matches!

Tom

post-48876-0-15068800-1393976667_thumb.j

Very nice work, I really like how it came out. Looks like the testing is going good so far also. I have the XDM in 9 and 40 and I am in the process of making the 40 into a open gun. If that mount ends up working for you I would be interested in buying one.

Thanks Jim

As I referenced in my post #6, notice how much higher the dot is over the slide, when the mount has to bridge over the top of the slide as well. Going under the gun should get it much lower. I do however understand that flexing could be an issue the other way. But, if not really gets the dot down low. Hope this new design works out.

So far so good. Initial groups were promising. I will run it in the 3 gun match on the 15th, and then do another accuracy benchmark at 25 yards after beating it up a little. Might even put the Fastfire back on the slide and compare group sizes to see what effect the frame mount vs slide mount has. I will post up a Youtube vid of a stage or two from my GoPro. :blush: THAT will be embarrassing!

it looks really nice. in fact the whole pistol looks really nice. very neat XD open gun. :) we see them very rarely here in aus. they don't have the popularity they do in the US. in fact most open guns here are steel frame. it's a shame when I see a really cool polymer one like yours. :)