Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blocked double stack magazines

bullpup

I am thinking about buying a double stack 1911 of some sort in 9mm. This is just an initial thought process, I don't know if I would start off very base with something like an RIA(if I can even find one) or go up to something like an STI. My problem is this, I live in Colorado so I can't purchase magazines that hold any more than fifteen rounds. Is there anyone that makes blocked magazines that would be legal for me to use? This will determine if I even stick with this idea, or just buy a single stack 1911. Thanks for any help.

BP

Thank you all for the information! I may actually decide to pursue this idea now.

Loves2Shoot-Thank you and if I decide to go this route I will be contacting you.

JMB-as much as I would like to move some days, I've spent my whole life in a small town in Colorado. Other than when I went to college, I have basically lived, coached, and been a teacher in the same town. It would be hard for me to pick up and leave even though I don't like what's going on in my state right now.

• 1 year later...

We well a piece of metal inside that blocks the follower from coming down past the desire round number. We do this often for those in NY who can get the guns, but those guns don't come with reduced capacity magazines.

NJ Resident here.....Thanking you guys in advance!!

I pre-ordered a STI DVC Open (with deposit) and then discovered "NO" 15 round magazines. A 10 Round alternative would put me at such a disadvantage in USPSA that I was thinking of backing out of the purchase altogether and forfeiting the deposit. An out-of-state gunsmith was my Plan B but I was concerned that without experience with a 2011 magazine and STI characteristics, I might have so many FTF & FTE that I again, would be clearing more than firing.

I know of Springer Precision and am now totally jazzed over my decision for the DVC !!

(Immediate Attitude Change --->) STI WHERE IS MY DVC OPEN ????? :mellow:

It's already been said but

Get the gun you want then deal with, having or doing it yourself, the capacity for your state.

I have base pad with dowels in them for restricted states and regular ones for non commy states

We well a piece of metal inside that blocks the follower from coming down past the desire round number. We do this often for those in NY who can get the guns, but those guns don't come with reduced capacity magazines.

Loves2shoot - Does this mean that the magazines can be disassembled for cleaning?

Reason I ask, the typical method that I have seen would be to install a polymer block, and then epoxy the block/basepad together, essentially renedering the magazine unserviceable.

Being able to disassemble would be huge!