Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about a wall?

a matt

What is the rule about touching leaning on a vision barrier? I see so many people using walls for support too. Not with the hand but like the forearm crap. I know that not right. Is that only up to the RO to call?

Check out 10.2.1

Matt might be confusing this rule as well:

10.2.8 If a course of fire stipulates shooting strong or weak hand only, a
competitor will not be penalized for using the other hand (i.e. the other
arm from the shoulder to the hand) to disengage an external safety, to
reload or to correct a malfunction. However, the competitor will be
issued one procedural penalty per shot fired while:
10.2.8.1 Touching the handgun with the other hand while firing shots;
10.2.8.2 Using the other hand to support the handgun, wrist or shooting
arm while firing shots;
10.2.8.3 Using the other hand on a barricade or another prop to increase
stability while firing shots.

Is the wall/barrier part of the shooting area or outside it? One is legal the other is not.

Inside, the barrier/wall is acting as the fault line. Outside is illegal

Is the RO & score keeper the only ones that can call infraction, not just this type ?

Edited by a matt

Not that I am the voice for DNROI or anything. I only let the actual RO's on a stage make calls. A match official needs to see an infraction and make the call. MAYBE if the RO is inexperienced and does not know better somebody can point out an infraction at a local club match and I might or might not allow it depending on circumstances. I think the peanut gallery should not be making calls unless it is a blatant safety issue at which time they should call stop. Even then it should be something obvious like somebody up on a berm or somebody still downrange that the RO missed. Take a 180 violation for example. The actual RO's should be in positions to catch this but if they find themselves out of position and a shooter sweeps other shooters then STOP is in order for sure. At a bigger match everybody should keep quiet and let the RO's handle everything. If the peanut gallery yells stop and the RO's did not see the infraction there is no way to issue a DQ. It would just be a reshoot.

To my recollection I have only once DQ'd a shooter at one of my matches when I was not running a stage. As MD/RM for a local match I felt it was my duty to stop and DQ a shooter that did a complete 180 degree about face in the wrong direction when moving from left to right on a stage. The RO was conditioned to start making his way right and turned his back for a split second. The shooter pivoted to the outside. I yelled STOP from a bay away. :goof:

Edited by Sarge

Sounds like something that happened at A6 last year. But I agree 110 % if you are not the RO or scorekeeper and it is not a safety issue. Keep it to yourself..

Edited by a matt

name="a matt" post="2114806" timestamp="1393790153"]

What is the rule about touching leaning on a vision barrier? I see so many people using walls for support too. Not with the hand but like the forearm crap. I know that not right. Is that only up to the RO to call?

Was this during a weak/strong hand exercise? That case was stated above and I haven't seen much use beyond that unless it's grabbing onto a batacade to lean way around once side for a tough shot on a field course.

Had that issue at Area 8 last year. Could you use a wall/barricade to support weak/strong hand shooting?

10.2.8 says to stipulate, which means it is written into the WSB so the answer is:

No if the COF is a standards or classifier.

1.1.5.3 Standard Exercises and Classifiers may specify shooting with
the strong hand or weak hand unsupported. The specified hand
must be used exclusively from the point stipulated for the
remainder of the string or stage.
No if it is a medium or long course with the SH/WH specified in the WSB.
1.1.5.4 Medium or Long courses of fire may stipulate the use of
either strong or weak hand, provided that only one hand, either
strong or weak, is specified for no more than the last 6 shots
required.
Yes if it is compelled through the use of props.
1.1.5 Freestyle – USPSA matches are freestyle. Competitors must be permitted
to solve the challenge presented in a freestyle manner, and to shoot
targets on an “as and when visible” basis. Courses of fire must not
require mandatory reloads nor dictate a shooting position, location or
stance, except as specified below. However, conditions may be created,
and barriers or other physical limitations may be constructed, to compel
a competitor into shooting positions, locations or stances.