Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at a Limited Pro -- Questions

IDescribe

Hey, it's your first "I might be buying a Tanfo" thread of the day. ;)

I'm looking to pick up a new pistol, the primary requirements being that it's Production legal, and that it's either a CZ or similarly patterned pistol. I'm familiar with CZ's, own a Shadow Line and love it, but I'm a little Tanfo-curious. The Limited Pro is high on my list of candidates, and as luck would have it, they're currently readily available in .40, and I find the idea of .40 minor intriguing, as well. For the record, I'm far from an expert smith, but I'm perfectly capable of some minor gunsmithing including the polishing of internal friction points, as well as selecting and installing aftermarket parts with some minor hand-fitting where necessary. I can get the gun running sweet. I'm intimately familar with the innards of my CZ, and since the Tanfos appear to be about 80% the same on the inside, I'm guessing I'll be perfectly comfortable with the Tanfos. So my questions:

EGW Hammer -- I have seen it asked and answered that the EGW hammer is in fact production legal. The way I read the rulebook, however, hammers are external, and unless otherwise specifically approved for aftermarket replacements, which hammers are not, replacement parts for external parts must be same OFM part or an OFM part from the same manufacturer for a Production-approved pistol. My question: how is the EGW hammer Production legal? Have I interpreted the rules incorrectly? Or does the EGW hammer somehow qualify as an OFM part? Would going with Grauffel's hammer be a better option?

Disco -- I was looking at Hennning's aftermarket parts, and he sells a disconnector. The description for the disco says: "If you have a double action model or want to convert your single action pistol into a double action, you need to install this interruptor on a factory hammer." So my question: Obviously you would want to buy one if you wanted to convert from SA to DA, but if you're already DA, why do you "need to install this interruptor"? Is it doing something the OFM disco isn't? Doing something better, maybe? Or is it just good web-store marketing?

Mags-1 -- I've seen reference to someone insisting they get a particular color follower -- red or black, don't remember which -- and I have now seen them for sale with red or black followers. What's the difference in the differently colored followers?

Mags-2 -- I have also seen reference to the recommendation of using 10mm mags with .40 and loading long. Does this really work? And are their considerations to go along with it? Will the chamber really handle rounds longer than what the standard .40 magazines will handle? This seems odd to me.

Mags-3 -- EAA mags or MecGar? Is one preferred over the other?

Main Spring/Trigger Spring -- I see Wolff springs sold in packs. Looks light the lightest for the short springs is 13#. Are there lighter ones available?

Sights-1 -- I see different slide cuts on different models for the rear sights, but not the front. Are all front sight slide cuts the same?

Sights-2 -- Is the stock adjustable rear sight on the Limited Pro a decent sight? Or is that something people tend to replace?

I did not realize I had this many questions. My thanks to anyone who makes it all the way through, and my apologies to anyone who doesn't. ;) I might be joining the ranks of Witness owners sometime soon. And, yes, it's all about the beavertail. :devil:

Edited by IDescribe

What is the diff b/n Lim pro and Stock 1?

Edit:

Hammer- EG hammer, ipsc and uspsa legal

Disco- you dont mess with the disco if you have a DA/SA.

Mags- Mecgar

Sights- keep the rear. Some like fixed but i like flexibility when changing loads. Front= dawson precision.

Springs- 13# main. 8# recoil. You could change the TRS to a lighter one but having a heavier one is better IMO. More positive reset compared to lighter first shot. So unless everything is first shot....

And 40 for production? Its pricy in ammo. I only shoot limited before so going 40 for production made sense but ended up using 9. Recoil, yeah, a lot softer. But 9 isnt like its unmanageable. Tanfo/EAA are heavy, it helps a lot.

Goodluck!

Edited by Torogi

Hammer- EG hammer, ipsc and uspsa legal -- Grauffel Hammer, okay

Disco- you dont mess with the disco if you have a DA/SA -- That's what I figured, okay

Mags- Mecgar, okay

Sights- keep the rear, okay Front= dawson precision, okay but do you have a recommendation on height that would work with the LimPro stock rear?

Springs- 13# main: probably, but is this the lightest option available? You could change the TRS: I will, and then change it back if I don't like it

And 40 for production? -- If I could snag a LimPro or Stock 2 or 3 in 9mm, then no I wouldn't be looking this way, BUT it doesn't seem like that's going to happen in any sort of convenient way or time frame. LimPro in .40 is doable at my convenience, and .40's doable for minor, and it's more about giving a Witness a whirl than it is shooting .40 minor. .40 minor is more of a curiosity than a desire. Bullet cost -- I load, and when I compared cast to cast, plated to plated, and jacketed to jacketed, it was about 2-3 cents extra per bullet for .40 vs 9mm, and I can afford the extra $40-$60/month. AND if I start casting, which is currently under consideration, that goes away completely.

And thank you for your response. :-)

Edited by IDescribe

Hey, two more questions:

I live about 15 minutes from EAA headquarters. Does that have the potential to work in my favor in any way? Normally, I would suspect it does not, but when I used EAA's search feature to pull up dealers, one of the ones on the list in my area was in fact "EAA Service". Does EAA deal directly with individual buyers?

The Stock 2 and Limited models use a cone barrel. Does anyone know if those cone barrels promote a more consistent lock-up and thus better inherent mechanical accuracy over let's say a LimPro's straight barrel? Or is the cone barrel only about putting the extra weight up front for recoil mitigation?

OP is to long to read.

Awesome. :-) That's why I apologized ahead of time. ;-)

All my questions have been pretty well covered by this time, and I'm grateful for the assistance. One question, though, and I figure some of you guys like Kneeling Atlas who are constantly working on the next gun might know the answer:

I've seen people mention ordering from EAA, and I see that EAA lists EAA Service in Cocoa/Rockledge Florida as a dealer. Can you actually order and purchase guns directly from EAA?

Can you actually order and purchase guns directly from EAA?

One way to find out is to email Sharon: sharon@eaacorp.com

If I were you and I lived close to EAA, I would walk up the loading dock with a case of beer on Friday afternoon and make friends with the guys in the warehouse. That way they could tip you off to what's there, what's not and when you can get it :ph34r:

I emailed them a time back when Witness limiteds were MIA to ask if I could order direct (I worked for a dealer at the time too) and I got a rather short note back saying no, order from the distributors.

Took me 4 months or so but I found one.

I still have all the log in info, so if you are looking for a particular model, let me know and I can check all the distributors and let you know if there are any available, then you could have your favorite gun shop order it for you,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That limpro in 40 would make a great deal for a production gun. All it's missing really of a stock II is the cone barrel and full dust-cover and as kneelingatlas said you'd probably need a ransom rest to find any difference in accuracy between the two systems. and the weight thing is a personal preference thing. some like the heavier muzzle end to dampen muzzle lift others like the lighter limpro for faster transitions. personally I like the heavier feel of the stock II or stock III but it wouldn't stop me buying a limpro at the right price.

with the extreme hammer and firing pin, a dawson or extreme front sight and some work on the action it would be a great production gun. :)

I have both a s2 and a limited pro, both in 9mm. I personally like the pro better. The difference in felt recoil is nil for me and I like the longer sight picture. Also, the pro is IDPA legal, so I can shoot it in both disciplines.