Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EGW U-Die or Lee FCD

DougBarnes101

I have searched and read the posts about both of these dies but I would like to hear from people that have used both of them and which they prefer.

Currently I am shooting a Les Baer TRS in 45 ACP. Baer is known for his chambers being tight. Recently I have begun having problems with the gun going completely into battery. Sometime I can take my thumb and push the slide home and other times I can't and have to eject the round. This can sure play havoc with your times.

I was previously shooting these same reloads in a Colt Series 80 and had no problems. I use a Dillon Case Gage and check every round. I really don't want to ream the chamber until I have exhausted every other possibilty.

I have seen the posts about the U-Die and the Lee FCD making a 650 run like sh*t but others don't seem to have this problem. At this point I am looking for any and all information. I am thanking everyone in advance for their help.

Doug

I used the EGW Undersize die and Lee FCD to load major 9 for awhile. The undersize die works well (just make sure you use one shot), the FCD makes the press real jerky because its so tight, so I quit using it, I now get my brass rollsized anyways. If you use both you'll have a lower percentage of rounds that don't chamber, however the difference is minimal in my experience.

I use an EGW U die and love it. It did make the press clunky because the powder drop kept grabbing the undersized brass.

The solution was offered by Blackbird / Matt. I chucked up the powder drop and lightly polished it. Press runs as smooth as before and produces undersized brass / ammo now.

try it before you open up that Baer.

I shoot two tight chambered S_Is in .40.

Before the Lee FCD they would jam frequently, even at 1.2.

Purchased the Lee.

I have not had a problem since!

The Lee works for me. I have not tried the EGW die so I can not speak to it. Most of my friends are using Lee.

A great investment. I purchased mine for Lee, he protects is retail customers so I paid retail. Midway has a good price on it.

Guest Larry Cazes

As a sanity check, I would suggest that you reload a couple of hundred rounds and then use the chamber from your TRS as a gauge to be sure that the ammo is at fault. There can be lots of reasons that a gun doesn't go into battery completely, and oversize ammo/undersized chambers is just one of them. Baer is known for building an overly tight gun that could contribute greatly to this issue. I use the EGW U die for loading .40SW but have never had casehead expansion in .45acp that caused me to use it for that caliber.

I have seen the posts about the U-Die and the Lee FCD making a 650 run like sh*t but others don't seem to have this problem. 

Doug,

I use a FCD (love it, I threw the case gauge away!) loading 45 on a 650 and it runs fine. I left the Dillon crimp die in place (backed it off a little) and added the FCD in the last slot. It's kind of spreading out the load of crimping (progressive crimping?) so both dies are working less... there is no "clunkiness".

Ed

Just want to make sure:

The EGW 'U' die and the Lee 'U' Die are the same thing (right?), it's just that EGW is about the only shop that sells it, without calling Lee directly.

I use the 'U' die, works very good.

The Lee FCD I use in a stand-alone toolhead (on a 550), to run those rounds through that wouldn't gauge coming off the 1050. Which seems to be happening after changing to MG's from West Coasts.

my 45 didnt like lead bullets(especially the real cheap ones that might be slightly out-of round, i had problems with the gun returning to battery, then purchased the lee FCD...not a single malfunction in over 12000 rounds.

now with a 40, i wouldnt have one, especially if you shoot jacketed bullets...and good brass. the U die is what the doc orders there..with a .40 most of the time the lee FCD die doesnt even touch the brass(except for the crimp) although i use a RCBS 10mm size die made in the early 90s, it is tighter than most 40 dies i have seen, especially dillon.

for the 45, i believe the answer is the FCD, for the 40, its the U die..although you could use both in either and not have any trouble(except tennis elbow);)