Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Witness

CalvinR

I recently purchased my first Witness in 10mm. It's the blued version of the P Carry. I did quite a bit of research before I bought it and am extremely happy with it, except for the crummy oem recoil spring. I read this evening that there was an issue with the round top slides cracking in 10mm. Could I get some clarification on this? My slide seems very robust, but I want to make sure I won't have this issue. Also I want to shoot Underwood Ammo's 180grain Gold Dots at 1300fps through it for backup on a hog hunt later in the year. Will upgrading to a 20lb spring be sufficient for safe cycling of this load? Thank you for any info you can share with me.

It shoots better than I do, I'm embarrassed to say. I'm not used to shooting a semiautomatic with that much punch. The sights are great, and the polymer frame softens the snap of the recoil. It handles and balances nicely when fully loaded as well. It isn't light, but it's a firearm that needs a little weight. The muzzle blast is fierce, and the concussion is noticeable as well. It's definitely a gun that gets your attention when it fires. The trigger is decent, but double action is a little long, and gritty. I imagine it will smooth out after firing. A friend of mine that is in the top 10% of competitive shooter for the National Guard liked it, and it made him smile, so it definitely gets the nod from me.

I'm learning that. I'm already lusting after an Elite Match now. I think I fixed my issues with a 20# Wolff compact spring. The original was a double spring, and this is a single, but I don't think it will cause any issues. It cycles much better, recoil is down, and empties don't fly forty feet away. All in all, I'm ecstatic.

They are addicting. I've went from having none a few months ago to, a limited in 40 with the 9mm and 10mm conversion. A match in 9mm and a stock 2 in 40 in the mail now, with me lusting after many many more. On my list of wants in handgun are about 5 more tanfoglios. I like them so much they have taken all my money for my AR's I was in the process of building. My AR's are very mad at me.

I want another Stock II or Stock III so bad now. Only shoot production but one day I'll venture to limited and it'll be time for one in .40 caliber but a backup 9mm is first on the list

Sent from my Flux Capacitor

You'll find your answer on why the slides cracked, on certain guns, just read through some threads and you'll find your answer. You have gotten a stronger spring for the gun so your covered there. Short version is if you have a gun that doesn't have the cut out sides, and it is more of a semi circle top, you are good to go. This is all info I have gathered here on the forum.

I'll be honest. I don't shoot any matches. My shooting range is at my house, out in the middle of nowhere. I just go out and shoot whatever gun I want. Which is nice because I don't have to conform to any rules and I can do whatever I want with my guns. I'm sure I would probably enjoy competition, but there aren't a whole lot of those around here that I know of. I'm sure I would have to travel a good ways and I don't really have the time to do that. Besides that it's freaking freezing in Indiana right now. There isn't much of anything going on outside, up here now. I just realized in my typing this has nothing to do with the thread. Sorry for getting off topic.

Edited by Savageman25

Ya. I've read from a few people on hear, that seem reliable, that you can shoot long loaded 40 s&w in a 10mm. If you reload that can be an option for you to save some $. Thats not personal experience though so take it with a grain of salt.

Yes nealio, I personally wouldn't recommend it, but have read that it's done. I feel like the principal (nealio) just came into the classroom (thread) and told me to watch it.

Edited by Savageman25

I recently purchased my first Witness in 10mm. It's the blued version of the P Carry. I did quite a bit of research before I bought it and am extremely happy with it, except for the crummy oem recoil spring. I read this evening that there was an issue with the round top slides cracking in 10mm. Could I get some clarification on this? My slide seems very robust, but I want to make sure I won't have this issue. Also I want to shoot Underwood Ammo's 180grain Gold Dots at 1300fps through it for backup on a hog hunt later in the year. Will upgrading to a 20lb spring be sufficient for safe cycling of this load? Thank you for any info you can share with me.

Calvin- I don't have any first hand knowledge on this, so maybe I shouldn't even comment. But, I have read of tests with ordnance gelatin of the Speer 180 gr Gold Dot which concluded that it expands terrifically at .40 S&W velocities. But expanding bullets tend to expand more rapidly and even come apart with substantial increases in speed, like at 10mm velocities and this decreases penetration, so the bullet might glance off an angled part of the hog's skull or might not stay together long enough to punch through a rib or shoulder joint and go on to reach a vital area on a large hog. Several friends have hunted and butchered their own hogs and they told me the skull and ribs on a large hog are much heavier than a human's.

Hogs come in different sizes, so maybe it would work just fine. But the larger hogs are huge! Just my $.02 and with the recent slide of the dollar against other currencies, you know what that's worth.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

Excellent point. I've actually been tossing around the idea of taking hard case loads instead. I'll have good penetration, and I won't have to worry about any separation issues like I would with a hollow point or even an FMJ.