Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P-09?

Travis224

I know that its a new model but someone HAS to have one by now. Please give a report, I held a P-07 the other day and apparently the 09 changes fix the short, narrow grip of the 07 but i was just curious how everyone was liking theirs.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a friggin COOL gun...

The whole gun is extremely well put together and is surprisingly simple for a DA/SA gun. You can ALMOST detail strip the whole gun without any real tools besides a Glock tool and maybe the heavy end of a screw driver to act as a hammer.

I dig the square trigger guard as well as it helps root my support hand in place.

The adjustable back straps are fantastic and allow you to fine tune your trigger reach.

Out of the box the trigger is heavy in DA and SA and SA has quite a bit of creep and the reset is a little on the long side. I was able to still run the trigger quite fast in spite of this "feature".

After installing the CGW short reset kit you walk away with a seriously nice trigger on par with a shadow. Its not quite as smooth but my shadows both have a TON of rounds and dry fires through them so the P09 is a new gun that hasnt been worked in yet.

The trigger shape itself is VERY ergonomic and roots your finger to the face of the trigger in DA and SA quite well, moreso than the curved triggers featured on the other CZ variants.

With the CGW reset reduction kit the gun has ZERO over travel in SA. This is a sample of one and i was quite impressed as both of my shadows needed to have their over travel screws adjusted. Not having to deal with a user settable over travel adjustment is a nice feature.

The factory recoil spring is ridiculous. I dont know what those crazy euro's are rocking but they must LOVE +P+ ammo...Someone, AHEM, CGW needs to come out with a non captured recoil rod and some springs. I believe the gun can use ISMI flat wire Glock springs but that is purely speculation at this time.

Recoil is ridiculously soft for a plastic gun. I am STRONGLY considering switching from a shadow to a P09 as i like the 30ish ounce gun better when it comes to starting and stopping the gun during transitions. The gun has a very muted recoil pulse in the hand and should be an absolute pussy cat with a lighter weight recoil springs but only time will tell.

The magwell is not quite as large as the shadow but its beveled nicely where it needs to be EXCEPT at the front. It will take a little training to work around this but its not a deal breaker.

What IS a bit of a deal breaker is the fact that the damned magazines are 40ish dollars a piece...erg...there's something awesome about being able to buy mec gar CZ mags for 25 bucks a pop...

I will be running the gun a bit with the CGW 11.5lb hammer spring this Friday to see what kind of reliability we get.

Other than what has already been done id REALLY Like to cut the hammer hooks but i dont have the machinery to do that. The gun on SA has a LITTLE too much creep for me. Thankfully, it feels more like pre travel than actual gritty, creep so that is a GOOD thing.

If there is anything else you want to know, ask away.

Gun is really nice shooter for being a polymer gun.

As said easy to take apart, but that is what the Omega system is designed to do.

even polished up, trigger has a different feel from the CZs I am used to, but to a new shooter, they might not be able to tell.

from the factory. DA is a little stagey but it does clean up. there is some creep in the factory set, and reset is a bit longer than the Shadows but the firing pin block lever is in line with the sear and trigger bar.

After recutting the sear and hammer and changing the sear spring, SA is much improved.

At this time. extended firing pins for the 75B guns will fit the P09 and P07 as well as hammer springs and trigger return spring.

Upgraded parts are in the pipeline for these guns. so should be some exciting things coming for a new Production/SSP gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be feasible to have a magwell installed on one of these? Since all other "plastic" guns have magwells i am hoping that someone would eventually bring one out.

Feasible? Probably. Its not like the pistol somehow poses an engineering challenge that NO ONE can surmount.

The question is...will the market bear one because there is demand? I doubt it but who knows.

A few updates:

The pistol would not reliably pop primers with the 11.5 lb hammer spring. We switched to the 13 and all is well in the universe. We also threw in a 13 lb recoil spring and the gun tracks way better. For MY tastes, id go down to an 11 but its my buddies gun and he prefers the 13. The Glock flat wire springs worked out great on the OEM CZ rod. The OEM factory rod is a captured, but user serviceable rod with a little bit of work.

ive played with the 40 and the 9 both stock out of the box. the 9mm trigger was IMPRESSIVE, yet the 40 was easily 25% heavier, and had more grit to it. Still, for the $480 here locally?! Im going to have to pick up one, or 5. lol

as for 3 gun. even with 19 rd mags, it doesnt compare to a glock with a +6 base pad. Im hoping someone get in the mix for after market parts and accessories. that would seal the deal about picking one up

Still short of a 17+6 Glock magazine...but CZ does also have +2s for the P-09

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/10911189_Extended-Base2-Rounds-P07-And-P09-9mm40-Sandw

As for aftermarket parts, Cajun Gun Works has parts and I have been able to run Glock 17 ISMI recoil springs on my stock guide rod.

Edited by matt7184

For those that also have handled an SP-01, how are the handling characteristics vs the P-09? I have smallish hands, and the P-09 fit much better than on my G17. Was wondering how it compared to the SP-01. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Have the P07 and put the CGW full treatment and have to say very nice, worth every penny and now want a P09 to do the same to.

I'm in the same boat. I just picked up a barely used B model P-07 today for $390 and I'm thinking of sending it to CGW once my P-09 gets back from them. This thing still had packing grease/oil in the slide serrations.

Dude had heart surgery a month or so ago and has to pay his $8000+ Obamacare deductible, so he's selling some stuff.

so as of today i have 21 glocks, and NO CZs, i feel this is a shame. I need to add one to the collections since i have XDMs, M&Ps, 1911s...

would the P09 be a good choice for a first CZ. i looked at a shadow but seemed like alot of $$ to only shoot occasionally. Handling the P09 was IMPRESSIVE for the $480 price new...

What would you recommend parts / cost wise from CGW to throw into a new bone stock P09?

The cost of a BASE SP01 is about the same as a P09 and you can kit out an SP01 basically the same as you can a shadow...for half the cost.

Having said that, it really comes down to what you want. Do you want a 42 ounce gun, or do you want a 31 ounce gun that has basically the same recoil impulse as the heavier, all metal gun?

As far as ease of maintenance, they're both essentially the same thing. They're very easy to work on and shouldnt prove to be problematic for even the most inexperienced end user.

The biggest differences between the two are as follows:

1. The cost of magazines for the P0 series of guns...sucks...They're very expensive at the current point in time.

2. The P09 runs off of the omega system and affords you the opportunity to swap between a safety or a decocker very easily to fit multiple roles of use.

As far as upgrades goes.

For the P09:

Extended firing pin

Reduced power hammer spring.

The Short Reset Kit

If you're reloading, throw a lighter Glock spring onto the factory guide rod.

has anyone shot a P09 side by side next to say a Glock 34. i run a G34 gen 4 with an 11lb spring. trigger breaks right AT 3lb on a digital gauge.

im bias towards glocks and i know many people are bias towards CZ. kinda wonder what someone who has no preference thinks about the 2 compared?!

There is no comparison.

Even with 130k power factor ammo, on the Glock 34 you still feel a "punch" in the hand. Granted, its a 9mm so its a weak, infant like punch but its still there.

On the P09 there is NO punch, at all and the muzzle rise is laughable.

Having said that...if you're tuned up on either system, there is NOT going to be an appreciable performance difference between the two.

The saying "six in one hand, half a dozen in the other" comes to mind.

If you shoot your Glocks well and you enjoy them, moving to a CZ is a lateral move. IF you just want a fun gun and something "new" to try then rock on, you will enjoy the CZ's.